Fed up with Epilepsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

just had enough this week. I've had bad side effects from Lamotrigine which I was constantly dizzy to the fact I was nearly falling over. I've sorted that now with the nurse. My migraines are horrendous this week & parectamol are not working. I can't take ibruprofen. I just need to vent to people who understand. Also anyone got any advice...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Try co-codamol which you can buy over the counter.
  • Posted

My granddaughter was born with epilepsy and she suffers too. Migraine headaches, dizziness, fatigue, short concentration. What she takes is Lamictal and Gabapentin. But what we found out was that she does not drink nearly enough water in a day and was told that dehydration can cause her symptoms.

Just one theory of course, but thought I would share.

My best to you!

Dawn

• Posted

Just to ignore the bad weeks and just think how it will eventually get sorted

I'm trying, been a year now since my epilepsy got bad and went on medication started with lamotrigine. I Feel it's going so fast with no chance to slow down and see how it goes. I'm already changing the drug off of lamotrigine because I got nasty extra side effects when I upped the dose.

doctors trying keppra now but already found last 2 months hard getting used to that as got dreadful lack of concentration and sleepiness for a while especially annoying with it being christmas and trying to revise GCSE's. It was just starting to settle and now they take me off lamotrigine. What's wrong with being on both if it was working and I felt okay?!?!?!?!

I'm starting to wish I had just stuck with no meds with the seizures but at the same time I'm new to the system so I'm sure at some point doctors let you see how it goes for a bit and its worth it in the long run

I hope they do... Good luck smile

• Posted

Penguins

I’m on both lamotrigine ER (500 mg, Extended Release, maxed out on dosage) and (generic Keppra) levetiracetam ER 1500 mg. Problem with regular 400 mg of lamotrigine alone; racing mind at bed time, couldn’t sleep. Switched to regular 1000 mg levetiracetam. Problem: intense anger. Switched to a trial and error of other drugs: too many undesirable side effects, switched back to lamotrigine. Problem: spent 2 ½ days in hospital after break through seizure, lamotrigine alone was not effective. Now back on both as ER’s and still have experienced a few auras. Need zoloft (Ambien) to sleep.

Your Dr should listen to your input. I live in the U.S. and think I have more input than what I’ve read on this U.K. site. When I see my neurologist in March, I’ll ask him to take me off levetiracetam and try another combo. He may or may not considering the track record of the combo’s effectiveness. Bottom line: Dr’s should listen to patients and their own experience. Nothing is wrong if being on both work. It’s better than one more trial and error med record.

• Posted

Atom

I have prescription drug book that list interactions with other meds:

Lamotrigine taken concurrently with:

*long standing use of acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) may result in decrease in blood levels of this medicine and a potential decrease in seizure control. Periodic use should not cause problems.

This is not the answer you're looking for, but that is all I can find. Tazchurch mentions co-codamol. I don't know what that is and is not mentioned in my prescription drug book.

• Posted

It is codeine and paracetamol together. A stronger version is available on prescription. I've taken it with this medication without problems but of course we are all different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.