Fed up with swollen feet. How long does it last?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had both bunions operated 8 weeks ago and my feet still swell if I walk to the end of the road and I am getting very fed up and beginning to feel like I will never walk again. Has anyone else felt like this and is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello. I am in exactly the same situation --my feet were done on 17th Sept. I can't be on my feet very long at all before they swell and become uncomfortable. I think this is fairly normal but its very frustrating! I console myself with going on my exercise bike for a bit of exercise and also I find driving is fine so am able to get out a bit. It can only get better.
    • Posted

Wow, you can cycle! I will have to ask my consultant if I can too when I see him on Tuesday.

At the moment I haven't done any exercise and am going gently mad!

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Yes the exercise bike is a godsend--there is much less pressure on the feet than when walking or standing however I havn't ventured out on my road bike. I'm a bit worried about what woud happen if I had to get off quickly -- I'm thinking of trying soon though. Swimming is another option but its not my favourite activity.

Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Thanks. Swimming definitely on my list once the scars heal up properly. Mine went sceptic after 2 days in normal shoes. Talking of which can you wear trainers now? Did you have to get any different size? I'm struggling with what to wear too!

Thanks, its so nice to hear from someone who had the op at the same time as me.

• Posted

Yes I have one pair of trainers that were always too big so I wear those .I also bought a cheap pair of Ugg type boots off ebay in a size up and they look OK. Thats the sum total of my footwear at present though! 
    • Posted

Thanks I will try my old tatty uggs
  • Posted

Yes it can feel like that at times for me!! With just my one foot I got done, but when u get home just put your feet up and that some pain killers. See if that workswink
  • Posted

I am two weeks since my mis surgery on both feet and already feel like this 😱 get stitches out tomorrow but getting about still aches guess we have to believe it will all be worth it in the end! 👍👠👠 good luck speedy recovery
    • Posted

Good luck too and you never know in a year we might be wearing 4 inch heels!
  • Posted

I understand the impatience, mine took about 3 months to get to normal.
    • Posted

Thanks. Were you able to drive and swim before then? Also do you have any advice in shoes please? I've no idea what to wear.

Thank you and hope you are miles better now

• Posted

I'm just gone 5 weeks post surgery on both feet, mine are in plaster casts so when they swell I

know about it as they are so restricted. Mine are even swollen when I wake in the morning as the casts keep my feet warm, part and parcel of the

surgery and I suppose if you think of the

battering our feet have taken they're not doing to bad.

• Posted

It's amazing and comforting to find other people who are going through it too.

You are right I had bone grafts as well as plates bolts and screws so it's hardly suprising I'm not in the mood for dancing!

When do your casts come off? I hope it is soon and that everything has healed brilliantly

• Posted

I go back on Saturday (yay). I'm hoping at the

very least the casts will be removed. After I had

my OP I only had a cast on my right foot and

dressings on my left but when I went for my 2

week post check he removed both, checked

wounds and put both in casts. So its hot and it

rubs when they sweat.

• Posted

Good luck and let me know how you get on. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed!!
    • Posted

Thank you....hopefully I haven't over done things,

family helped at first but noviety soon wears off.

I do realise its still going to take time before I canget back into my usual routine once all dressingsare removed, I used to swim 4 times a week and although I drive I prefered to walk everywhere butwill have to take to using the car if I feel the need to get out and about, barring my hospital visit I'vebeen out 3 times in the last 5 weeks. So slowly

slowly with the walking as I don't want to think I can walk miles only to have to get a taxi back.

Glad I've had mine done in the cooler months

though.

• Posted

I agree! Swelling is a real problem and I definitely didn't 't expect it to be like this. I am almost 6 weeks post surgery and feet seem to be swelling more now than a few weeks ago! It is not like I have walked that much. A few small trips out e.g. For coffee and to pick up shoes ordered in anticipation of being able to dump surgical shoes. Feeling a bit like this will never happen as can't actually get my feet into anything, despite ordering a size larger! Thinking that I might try to get some men's trainers as they seem to be wider. Getting despondent as having more issues with one foot during week six than I had for the first five weeks!
    • Posted

That was almost exactly what happened to me. Was doing really well until post op shoe came off (wk 6). Then went to get some wide shoes (clarks have a reasonable range) and after 1 week of virtually no nwalking my left foot was huge and the scar had opened up. It's crazy how long it takes to recover and how even the slightest thing causes yet more swelling. Take it gently!
    • Posted

Thanks for that. Already had quite a number of pairs of wide fit shoes including ones which are EE fit but still no joy. I think that it is partly because I can't seem to bend my toes at all to get into shoes. Hat happened to you does not sound at all good. Hope that it is now on the mend. Taking it easy still seems to be the answer but really want to make some progress ahead of Christmas and holiday which I have booked for January. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.