Feel as if I will explode!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Started taking Olanzapine 2 months ago for severe depression. I am now taking 3/4 of a 2.5 tablet. I have felt terrible most days and stay in the bed. The depression is still there and the agitation is awful. I feel as if I might explode!

I continue to talk with the doctor who says to stick with it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does it pay to go through this agony?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nancy  are you trying to go off the Olanzapine? you are almost there so I think your symptoms should subside soon. I am in a different predicerment. My doctor wants me to go on abilify and drop the olanzapine cold turkey. I take 7.5 mg. It worked great for me in the beginning but stopped working. I am too afaid to go cold turkey so My doctor will not be happy with me when I see him again. I am sure you will be all right hang in there.
    • Posted

Sondra, thanks for your reply. No, I am not trying to go off. I am trying to adjust to the med, but it has been two months and I can hardly stand the side effects. Did you have side effects when you started?

Good luck with stopping. I wish I had some advice for you, but I am new to this. 

• Posted

Hi again Nancy,

I started with a 2.5 and cut it in  half. It made me sleep through the night,   which was a relief because I had not been sleeping.  I did  not suffer any side effects untill I went up from 2.5 to 5 and then at 7.5 I found it hard to think straight.  That is why now I am suppose to go onto abilify,  but I don't want to stop the olanzapine cold turkey.

The olanzapine may not be for you if  that low of a dose is causing problems. You might want to ask your doctor to try a different med. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hello

Well I'm getting very agitated reading yet another horror story on Olanzepine I had to experience unnecessary hell for a year being put on it The Doctors would just not listen when I questioned whether what I was experiencing was side affects of the drug In the end I thought there's only one way to find out so I suddenly stopping taking it which I won't recommend as I went through 2months of mental and physical turmoil but I managed to ride it out and now I feel so much more like myself without it I'm still on an antidepressant but I aid my anxiety tendencies with daily exercise and high quality supplements and I've just completed an Anxiety Management Course which was excellent Writing my worries down and breathing meditations also works for me

Just remember u know yourself best!

• Posted

Hello Nancy

Just came across your post and wondering how you are going with the Olanzapine now?  Have you stuck it out/your symptons subsided?

• Posted

Hi Nancy,

Olzapins is addictive. just as you need to wean yourself off it gradually, the doctors should be adjusting your dose upwards gradually - but they don't. I have just stopped Olanzapine 2.5mg and I also felt like absolute crap for quite a long time.

BUT now I am out on the other side. It can be done.

If your doctor is saying stick with it, my advice is to listen to him. What you're feeling won't last forever and then you will come out the other side.

I di it and now I have my life and my mind back.

Wishing you all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.