Skip to content
in this discussion +4 following Follow this discussion

Feel as if my brain has been damaged.

I was put on Bisopolol on Boxing day, I only took half the dosage so 1.25mg as they made me feel so bad. One of the syptoms was they made me feel like a drunk Zombie.

Middle of March, and I was put on Sotalol instead, I only took this for a couple of weeks as I developed a bad cough so my GP told me to come off. So I have been free of medication for two or three weeks now, but my brain feels so very very foggy, I feel on the versge of catatonia and will find it quite difficult to do anything other then sit completely still staring at nothing with no thoughts in my head. Up until February 9th, I had always been in full time work, now I feel as if I have some sort of demintia, my concentration is gone and my reactions have become very slow.

Could this be a result of the Beta-Blockers?, will the syptoms fail with time?

Only other explaination is that I am getting much better sleep now that I no longer have to go to work, a regular eight hours and at the same time rather than the shifts I used to do.

The other thing, could it be depression?, I have always lived alone but now that I no longer see people at work, my life is almost complete isolation, but yesterday for instance, I saw a friend I havnt seen for a few years, but my brain still stayed very dull indeed.

Report this

4 Replies

• ann82027 peter01729

I do exactly the same thing and i don,t know if its depression now or the drug Bisoprolol 1.25.   Unlike you i don,t sleep, my family do not appreciate i have some health problems now, svt and aches in my joints, they still want me to dog sit, pick them up etc     I cannot say n.     I hve always been quick in everything i do and my brain is sharp, i feel like a zombie , maybe its what the drug does to us.   You should be improving now you have come off it, i,m sure it takes time. 

0 Report this reply to ann82027

• We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

We sometimes need to review content before it’s published to make sure it meets the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• ann c.04098 peter01729

Hello Peter, Here is some food for thought..  yes beta blockers slow us down and make us feel zombie like as it slows down the heart.  I have read countless complaints on many forums and without a doubt people do not like the side effects of hypertension drugs in general.  Now here is a thought.. I truly believe half the problem with hypertension lies with FEAR.. what passes from the medical profesionals today is a far cry from yesterday.  When we are dismissed due to a complant or even fought with by the professional it raises our blood pressure..Your  case  is not unique..  Ask questions as to why you are on a beta blocker and do some research.. do not follow blindly.. After all you know your body more than someone who sees you for ten minutes and makes an assumption about your condition...Good health to you Peter..

0 Report this reply to ann c.04098

• We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

We sometimes need to review content before it’s published to make sure it meets the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• peter01729

Strangely today, for no parlicular reason, I have had very bad SVT for about four hours now, certainly I will be getting a phone call tommorrow  from a cardiologist when they see the 12 particular episodes I have told my Reveal Linq to notify them of. But the strange thing is that during this time, I havnt had the brain fog.

Its as if the previous taking of beta-blockers has kept my body in a state of in-action, and that for whatever reason today, my body has deci9ded to produce some adrenalin or whatever, that not only has woken my brain up, but also my heart to the very thing the beta-blockers would have protected it from.  

0 Report this reply to peter01729

• annie78444 peter01729

Hi, Peter, hopefully you have spoken to a doctor by now. These medications are very powerful. I had so many problems on a very low dose betablocker that i was given permission to stop. I tapered carefully, got all sorts of symptoms, and still had the fatigue and corpse like feeling/not able to breathe,  then after a week or two things changed . Blood pressure up, pulse up, and such a 'high' i was almost in another world, with totally abnormal reactions to  the least stress, this got worse and worse before it settled after months, won't go into details here, but very strange time, take great care

0 Report this reply to annie78444

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

Forums Terms & Conditions