Feel I am being forced into taking antidepressants

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

sorry bit new to this. Because of a sudden bereavement, my young son died suddenly last year, and the intervension of a Crisis team, I am seeing a Psychiatrist who wants me to take Sertaline for Severe Depression. I categorically don't want to take anti depressants and am working hard to deal with the problems and I have just started to see a Psychologist. My stress and anxiety levels are already really high, don't sleep much and have little apetite. So scared of the side effects, even if they only last for a few weeks, don't think I can handle any increase in anxiety. But feel I am being pushed into taking them as the holy grail of feeling good again. Can anyone offer advice?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm taking Zoloft as in the last four years I've lost my dad my mum and my 21 year old nephew and I'm finding that they have took all my emotions away so I don't feel like I'm grieving any more I don't know wether this is a good thing or a bad thing to be honest cause at least I felt like I was dealing with my feelings and now I dont 
    • Posted

I'm really sorry to hear that, if you're still taking medication and feel that you still need to fully process things emotionally, then I for one would encourage you to endeavor to do that safely.  

I really believe that it's important to not only go through the motions of "processing it" mentally, but to experience the greif physically, emotionally, really connect to it at least for a moment in time.

I've dealt with things both ways, and when it's possible I think it's very imporant to let your soul process it as well. 

• Posted

Hey ak2010.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's very tragic. Very, very sorry.

Firstly, if you go and talk to a psychiatrist about anything - anything - the first thing they're going to do is reach for the prescription pad because that's their whole gig. And secondly, as far as I'm aware, you're within your rights to refuse antidepressants so stop seeing the psychiatrist because going by my experience, they can't support you except with meds - but continue to see the psychologist who should be supportive of your decision to be dealing with your problems without putting half assed chemicals onto your brain. If he/she starts talking meds after you've already made it clear where you stand, then sack him too, and go to a better psychologist or counselor, but I don't think it will come down to that. It should be okay.

Anyway, I'm real sorry about your son ak2010, and I hope one day the pain will become managable within yourself. Take good care of your heart and soul. Your son has gone back to the angels now tho, and he is free. Many hugs to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.