Feel like a Leper

Posted , 6 users are following.

I got the Flu on Jan 5, and have had Bronchitis ever since in my good lung! I can't go anywhere because of the cough; but actually I normally cough anyway. How do you deal with it socially?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I know where you're coming from.

I went down with chest infection on Boxing Day, then I got that nasty viral infection that's going about on top!

Two lots of antibos and nearly a month later and I'm still rough.

The coughing is horrendous. But I won't give in.

I went out Thursday night, I have a six week standing ladies night out with my gf's. Because of BX I've missed no end last year, and I wouldn't start this year staying in.

I took plenty of tissues and if ANYONE complains if I start to cough my butt off I now, after 15+ years, smile and look at the complainer and say 'good job it's only my knackered lung playing up and I'm not infectious', then I glare at them, nicely, and continue doing whatever lol.

I cough 24/7 these days and while I'm hoping they can remove my bad lung this year, I don't know if I'll continue to cough.

I work on a checkout and most customers are fine with me coughing. But you always get one that says 'you shouldn't be here spreading your germs.' Again smile nicely, lots of teeth wink and I say 'Oh I AM sorry, I need to go and do my PT on my lung to clear the sputum that my POORLY lung builds up.' Again telling said muppet I'm not infectious.

It's not nice having to explain but I'm always straight with people, and have a good supply of tissues, napkins etc handy when I'm out.

If it's too bad I go to the toilet to relieve my lung. 

I don't go out as much as I used to, but I don't let anyone upset me when I do venture out.

• Posted

Thanks, Joviswoman!
  • Posted

I know exactly what you mean! The looks you get in public! 

Especially if you have to cough up sputum into a tissue. You’d think you had the plague. 

I try not to let it bother me, and stare back or say something like it’s not infectious. Which it isn’t. If people comment or stare too much. But it does bother me sometimes. 

• Posted

Seeing how you deal with it is giving me confidence. Thank you. 
    • Posted

Well, I'm different. I know that even when I think I don't have an infection, I might have one -- true for us all, which means I'm always a danger to babies and old folks. I prefer to treat people as I want to be treated so I wear a mask ,,, which both sets people at ease and protects me somewhat from all the people & their kids rudely hacking away in public with colds or the flu. It's a heavy duty mask, not one of the flimsy things you find in American hospitals & doctor's offices. Pulmonologist recommended.

To each their own but I, too, wonder about everyone who coughs openly in public.

• Posted

I see what you mean. But I couldn’t handle wearing a mask. I do cover my face with a scarf when out and about it public during cold and flu season. 

And I always cover my mouth with a tissue when I cough. 

Oh and plenty of hand sanitizer afterwards. 

• Posted

Scarves work! If doubled, they sometimes block more than masks do.

I had years of wearing a mask in doctor's lobbies to get a little used to masks before BX came along. Back then I mainly did it because there might be 10 sick kids with parents & siblings in the small lobby of my clinic -- too close for safety, especially since I can't take the flu shot. When BX came along and I was so sick for so long, I wanted every protection possible. Also, we get so many allergens in the air here. Every sinus infection I've had has settled in my lungs. Mask does double duty. Oh yes, must'nt forget: since the '80s, massive springtime field burnoffs in SE Mexico & Central America send so much smoke here that i sometimes can't leave the house for weeks without a heavy duty mask.

I do mostly closed-mouth coughing when i cough because it's easier on my vocal cords. Cuts down on the possibility of accidents, too. If I have to cough in public without a mask, I use a waiter's trick & pull out my blouse neck opening, bend my head down to be covered by the fabric and cough into the blouse or dress. But mainly I am extremely thankful for all the meds & devices which have cut down on my coughing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.