Feel like going out me mind slipped disc

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been off work for over 2 months with scatica , had me mri scan and today by phone got told I have a slipped disc. Nothing serouis she said , why hasn't this gone I can't sit for to long can't do much. I feel when I stand for to long I can feel the pain there, only real relief I get is if am laying down with a hot water bottle. But this is no life is it , never felt so depressed , can't drive . Can't clean me house in less it's on waist level , they saying it should go by itself . How long will I have to wait ? It's bit better then it was but I been resting as soon as I go do something like put a wash on its back . Really 2 months in .... am at the end of me tether with this . Any advice be so great

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Nothing's serious yet. There s nothing normal about this and it may not put it self right . Hate the terminology it's nothing serious or it's normal or it's not uncommon. Ok it may not be life threatening but depending on how debilitating it is And each individual is different. There's so certainly not normal it may be common but we were not designed to have the flaws in my opinion. It happens due to weakness in the body or over working yr body not looking after it or it could be hereditary or just dam right unlucky.

• Posted

Hi Donna

I'm in the same boat. I've just gone back to work after a 3 month stint off work and a period of taking the strongest dose of one of the medications they prescribe for this, lyrica plus pain killers which dont help at all. It may not be serious but it can be, you have to keep an eye on your symptoms Google cauda equina. My symptoms first started in April 2014 and I am still waiting for the nerve block injections and I'm on the waiting list for an operation. The pain is horrendous to the point where you can't sleep, do much and are in floods of tears. My pain was from my hip down to my foot, i couldn't stand, lay down or walk during my last episode. It seems to have healed itself at present but it has on a few occasions during the past two years. It has come back with a vengeance within a couple of months, each episode is lasting longer and the pain is more severe. All well and good them telling you what is wrong but what did they say is the next step? What are they going to do to help you? Best wishes.

• Posted

I had the nerve block 3 wks ago and landed me a 5 day stint in hospital with a fever afterward s . Everyone ones different but if ur on the list for a op I personally would not go for injection it could make it worse. It could help but wouldn't hold my breath. O don't know many people that's had any relief most or worse

• Posted

Yikes. 

Have you had any success with steroid injections? They can be a useful stop gap while you try to fix things structurally... I have had a couple and they worked a little bit. I have a suspected disc fragment from my microd so I am not the ideal candidate but they do work in 50% of cases I gather.

• Posted

Very little relief from injection s at all, next step is needles in to the disc s to make sure there the main culprit s as I also have fibromyalgia. If the test is positive then a spinal fusion is on the cards
  • Posted

Hi Donna

It is amazing how blasé these doctors can be sometimes. Normal is not being made to take months off hospital. It is really depressing. I totally sympathise. Honestly. I have been mostly off work for 6 months, but my situation is different so don't freak out. The good news is that your hernia is not serious and many small herniations are mostly reversible.

i don't know how much advice you have been given but here are some things that I think are generally true.

1. Don't be inactive. Your disc is herniated due to a weakness in the disc and the muscles around it. Resting for ages won't get that better. You need to start to move around, slowly at first, and start to do exercises to build up you stomach, back and core muscles. These are responsible for supporting your spine and if you don't train them, or worse, if you let them atrophy by resting all the time then you won't get your back better. So start walking, plenty. Then start doing core, back and abs exercises. I would go to see a physio to give you a program to follow. Do them religiously every day. Start easy and ratchet them up until you are doing an hour or so every day. And walking, both for fitness and for your back muscles.

2. This is a long term fix though. Expect it to take months. The first improvements may only be noticeable after a month or two but with a weak disc, then having a strong core is the only option long term, so press on.

As you get your core stronger you will take pressure off the disc. That means a bit less pressure on the nerve in your back. After a while the nerve will start to calm down and your pain will start to reduce. Keep at it and at it and it. 

A friend of mine (who admittedly was fit to start with) got a herniated L5S1 and spent 6 months building a core of steel. Six pack and everything. His back pain was gone by the end of the year. Now he stretches and strengthens once a week and has it under control.

3. By the way, you can also ask your gp for oral steroids or even go for a epidural steroid injection. Steroids help to bring down the inflammation of your nerve that is causing pain. But don't start here. If you muscles are week then the steroids will fight a losing battle as the nerve will still be under pressure from the disc all the time. Talk to your gp but maybe use the steroids as a boost after a month of physio and exercises. 

Get a good physio, no manipulation, just strengthening and a bit of stretching. If you don't like the one you get, get a different one. Physios vary a lot.

good luck.

• Posted

I was where you are just under 2 years ago (agony), so I went  private and had a microdisectomy. I didnt see the point of injections and I needed the problem fixed quickly and it did. As soon as you wake up after the operation the pain has gone, absolute bliss. 

I recommend you go on utube and watch the video

Understanding Lower Back Pain & Sciatica - McKenzie Institute by Dr. Yoav Suprun.

Mckenzie exercises can help alot, but you will need to Google these or find a physio that knows something about it. Pelvic tilt exercises may also help. 

If these dont fix it after a couple of weeks you probably need the operation. You will need 6 weeks off work and a careful rehab plan with no bending lifting or twisting. 

Dont waste anymore time sitting at home as it wont get any better. For me, I wasted 3 months and alot of cash on physios and chiropractors.

• Posted

Hi Anglo, I've been in pain over a year with what appears to be a slipped disc/s. Doctor firstly threw lots at pain killers at me after self funding Physio and Osteo but have seemed to reach a plateau of moderate daily discomfort although I can 'function'.

Have changed Doctor 4 weeks ago and he instantly booked me in for an mri in Jan. Your post gives me huge encouragement!!!.....I was dreading surgery with associated risks but after this going on for over a year seems the likey outcome. Waking up in the morning is a nightmare, lower back very painful and a real effort to even turn over to get out of bed. 2 hour routine of heat and meds to get functional, rest of day is just 'considered' movement until bed. I've had dreadful depression as a result but not so bad atm as come more to terms with things.

Here's hoping for a good outcome from my scan and a possible resolution.

• Posted

I was where you are just under 2 years ago (agony), so I went  private and had a microdisectomy. I didnt see the point of injections and I needed the problem fixed quickly and it did. As soon as you wake up after the operation the pain has gone, absolute bliss. 

I recommend you go on utube and watch the video

Understanding Lower Back Pain & Sciatica - McKenzie Institute by Dr. Yoav Suprun.

Mckenzie exercises can help alot, but you will need to Google these or find a physio that knows something about it. Pelvic tilt exercises may also help. 

If these dont fix it after a couple of weeks you probably need the operation. You will need 6 weeks off work and a careful rehab plan with no bending lifting or twisting. 

Dont waste anymore time sitting at home as it wont get any better. For me, I wasted 3 months and alot of cash on physios and chiropractors.

• Posted

Hi Anglosaxon

i agree that surgery is a good option but it has risks. My surgery worked well for my sciatica and severe weakness in my leg but I fluffed my recovery and it have had months of back pain, probably from a small reherniation.

i chose surgery as I had a big ruptured herniation and was rapidly using the use of my leg. Physio was not an option, but from what I have heard in the last 6 months, it does work for some people. It depends on the size and nature of the herniation and the patient themselves. 

Should it come to it though, if you can afford to go private, even if it means stretching your finances a bit, I agree that is a good plan. NHS docs and surgeons are fairly pushed for time in some areas, so while the quality of the surgeon is great, they have less time before and crucially, after, to help you get better.

• Posted

Reherniation is low at about 10% and recovery should be carefully managed by the pateint. I have read on so many forums people have the operation and then are left to it without a recovery plan. A total waste of the operation. 

Being self employed I couldn't afford to be off work plus I was in agony. I couldn't afford the operation, but one's health is more important.  I paid £6,800. But would have lost my business if I hadn't had it done.

• Posted

This happened to me 3 years ago now am back where I started another op after xmas this time with a private hospital through the nhs, so hopefully better treatment as so far it has been .
  • Posted

Hi Donna, role a towel up tightly and sellotape it so that its between 4 an 5 inches diameter and try lying over it on the floor. Start near your shoulder blades and move slowly over it so it roles down your back underneath you.

This opens up the gaps around the discs

It will take time but rest alone doesn't fix this problem

• Posted

So sorry...mine went out about four weeks ago. I have spent hours with mt back flat and my hips flexed so that I can stretch my back.

I have been avoiding standing. Sitting is not too bad as long as I lean forward at the waist. I definitely agree, heat helpd...I prefer an electric heating pad.

Gentle stretching, slow stretching also helps me.

Time is the healer.

Try to avoid chores that involve twisting and lifting. Laundry may be easier to remove while sitting on a chair.

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith, I couldnt help noticing your comment on getting pain relief by leaning forward while sitting. I had surgery a year and a half back after suffering through 3 years of pain. I too used to find relief by bending forward at the waist, but it appears that that is what allowed the disc to slip further and led to the surgery. I may be wrong about this, but you must speak with a neuro before continuing with this.

I would rather suggest that you look for relief through specific physiotherapy that strengthens the back muscles (single leg raises of 6 inches while lying on your back etc).

Wishing you a pain free future.

Harry

• Posted

This will only give relief to nerve pain. Depending on where the weakness Is in the disc it could ad further pressure causing it to go one way or the other
    • Posted

I think that in some cases building a really strong core can relief pressure on the disc. A friend of mine managed this, but he was an Olympic rower so his idea of a strong core is pretty superhuman by most standards. Full 6 pack and basically a barrel of muscle around his midriff.

It is true that strong core and back muscles can take a lot of load off the spine. Think of weight lifters. It certainly isn't their spine supporting 100s of kilos.

Some herniations I guess are too far gone for physio though. Mine had ruptured and was causing paralysis so I had to have surgery pronto.

Also many people are in too much pain to do effective physio.

Sitting is horrible for weak discs though, especially sitting forward. It puts up to 4 times more pressure through the disc than standing or lying. As Jessica even if you get relief from pain, it's a bad plan I suspect. I used to go cycling to relieve my leg pain. It worked at the time but the herniation got worse and worse until I ruptured it my falling off the bike on a wet day...

HTH

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.