Feel like I can't swallow

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have GERD and silent reflux. Have started to notice quite often when I eat or even drink water it sort of sits in throat area and I feel like I can't swallow, it's as if there is a bubble, it never comes back up and I try to force myself to burp to get it down. I quite often feel like I have lost the ability to swallow and I know its panic but I feel myself going dizzy. I am starting to get anxious about eating now. I can't feel anything although my neck feels sore inside where your thyroid is. Thyroid checked regularly due to having GH. Before I waste the GPs time and get told its just Gerd is this common and if so any thoughts on how to relieve this as I really feel like I am going to stop breathing when it happens. Sorry to be dramatic but worried

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

try not to worry this is part if gerd i get it all the time and had checks privatly like yourself thyroid camera down up the more you worry you get more anxious it gets worse , hard as it and my sympathys especially if not experienced it before and it is scary you think all sorts i suffer health anxiety after my dear mum had larynx cancer so my Gp always reaasurring me as i get this so much i am fit healthy eat well dont drink so do all i am supposed to do and wonder why i have this acid i am happy but am a worrier

• Posted

Thanks, it helps to know its not just me. I am a worrier and as it was a new symptom was concerned. Take care

• Posted

are you taking anything for gerd if not try some over the counter medication like zantac antacids or Nexium

• Posted

Hi, I have had GERD for 15 years and been on esomeprazole for years now. I tried weaning myself off and have caused a bit of oesophagitis so back on the 40mg per day. I just panic when I feel this bubble sensation as I just cannot swallow and feel like I am going to pass out. Hopefully it is just that I need more time on the higher dose.

• Posted

i have been suffering for years now i find it so hard to breath always burping have to sit up right lay on left side only otherwise feels like im being crushed. feels as if its in the left side of my breast bone.

im worried about cancer im worried about barrets i was told 6 years ago i had half cm my osophagus has been feeling tender for months now deep breaths hurt i dont know what else to do doctors brush it off, told i had a hiatus hernia but berrium swollow found nothing so dont know

someone help me

• Posted

same happened to me was told for years by my doctor I had a hiatus hernia then had came down showed nothing was then told it was stress related

• Posted

I feel sorry for you as I can't get an answer either, my GP said acid can do so much damage and always puts everything down to it. Fed up taking PPI but what other choice is there. I do think some of my worry about swallowing is caused by anxiety as I find I am thinking about everything I swallow. Today I am sore at the base of my throat where the food goes down so am going to see GP yet again, they just don't seem to want to refer me for a camera, had one 5 years ago so has been a while and will see what happens

• Posted

do push for it or speak with another doctor you are entitiled to have it investigated... i beleive yes alot of anxiety has caused mine to i am starting accupuncture to release tention in my throat, CbT but they ate only dealing with panic, most of my panic is due to me not breathing and feeling unwell and also doctors misdiagnosing and putting thoughts in my head.

• Posted

you insist you have it done you are entlitled to and to put your mind at risk how old are you ?

• Posted

I am going to see if I can get an appointment at doctors today, I am a young 60 but only just 😂. I went for my last one when I was in agony and they found nothing. I just don't understand how acid can cause so much damage. Take care

• Posted

t'yes i am also 57 i am young fir my age too but why i ask as after 55 they have to send you for tests . in germany they screen every 2 years you not pathetic you go for it l be strong

• Posted

Have just been to doctors and he has arranged for me to have an endoscopy. I hate them but as least I will know if anything has changed since my last one about 5 years ago. I will try to relax now and see, what happens, although he did say they might want me to come off the PPI for a week, which is not something I am looking forward to 😳

• Posted

I've had it done three time and never been asked to stop taking ppi meds you could take high dose zantaci I think asked your doctor about it if he says stop ppi meds

• Posted

Hi, thinking about it I wasn't told too last time either so will check. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.