FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO MAKE MYSELF BREATHE

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well i have major depression and anxiety and its so hard to do anything because of this krazy stuff i had all the symptoms but it's like i have to make myself breathe but it goes away when im distracted does anyone else feel like your obsessed wit making yourself breathe? Even though your body already knows how to breathe on its own ?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Edited

The inability to breathe in a normal pattern is very common in anxiety disorder. I get it a lot. The trick is not to shallow breathe. Inhale fthrough your nose, making sure your belly risers and not that your lungs expand, lungs expanding is shallow breathing and exacerbates the problem. Try to hold your breath once you've inhaled then through pursed lips, as though you're kissing someone ( you can use your imagination to kiss anyone, it will distract you, lol )_ breathe out for as long as you can and as slow as you can

Breathing into a brown paper bag helps but it's better to learn breathing techniques. Practive when you're watching tv or in bed. Place your hands on your belly to feel it rise and fall then you know the breathing pattern is correct.

• Posted

you're welcome smile Have you noticed anything? Everyone has rushed to "help" you, using their own experiences to give you the best possible advice. Those with panic, and/ or anxiety disorder are the kindest people in the world. They've all been there, experienced that and battled along. But not one person is selfish. They might feel like crap and be struggling with their own horrendous symptoms but they always, always reach out a helping hand.

If you keep in touch with this site and read that which others post then it will reassure you that you are not alone and more importantly, should a new "symptom " rear it's ugly head you have only to mention it here and everyone will be "there" for you.

• Posted

What an absolutely inspired reply, Helen. I enjoy reading your input. Thank you from all of us.
    • Posted

thank you so much.. i know you posted this 4 years ago lolol but your tip about 'the inhale makes your belly go out' just helped me have my first conscious breath of fresh air in almost 3 days.. I literally cried. thank you so so much..!!! everytime I'm not fully distracted, I feel myself breathing and suddenly can't do it automatically anymore. I just start shallow breathing and can't stop.. your tip helped me more than I can ever thank you for!!!

• Edited

Yes, I have this if I focus on breathing that is why that never works for me even though it is one of the first things they teach you to calm. I have found distractions and going for a walk help me the most. Or even doing something like vacuum like I just did when I started thinking inward
    • Posted

So true it helps when im doing something but when i stop it starts again so i try to keep busy to not think about it
  • Posted

.....look into mindfulness meditation and a paramedict once suggested yoga for me as well...in my case a short course of valium brought my breathing under control and just getting to the end of the course...i have also undertaken a complete overhaul of my life style and hopeing my new routine better nutrition and giving up various crutches such as alcholl..smoking ..and caffine can only but help...also find out as much as you can about the affect anxciety and depression has on your body...understanding and knowing why certain things are happeing helps so much along with support groups and being as active as possibel when you are feeling up to it as i know how hard it can be just to get going when in a low state.....for days i cant face outdoors i just turn up the music dance away whilst doing bits of housework...good luck.
  • Posted

I also think about my breathing a lot. Do you also have shortness of breath ? I constantly feel like I can't fully inhale air even though doctors told me that everything is alright with my lungs and that I have enough oxygen in my blood.

• Posted

Yes all the time and i always think about my breathing i have to stay busy to not think about it
    • Posted

Absolutely yes to shortness of breath. I can track certain things that bring it on; at other times it just is there. Mostly it is when I am straining to do something, or when I have unthinkly been shallow breathing for awhile. I just breath in as deeply as I can, then blow the air out and repeat that a few more times, each time able to get more lung expansion. In other words, just focus on breathing deeper. It happen to me several times a day. I've gotten so used to it that the deeper breathing is starting to happen without my having to focus on doing it. This is common and ain't no big deal. biggrin

• Posted

Thanks smile. I constantly feel like I don't get enough air even though my doctors told me that I do get enough air lol. I might be hyperventilating all the time but not sure.

• Posted

Breathlesness is one of the more unpleasant symptoms of anxiety disorders and is frightening until you realize what is causing it. When it hits me the slightest exertion and my lungs are going like a pair of overworked bellows. It's a miracle that steam doesn't pour forth from my nostrils. Please try not to let this frighten you by constantly focusing upon it, because that makes breathing issues worse. Rest assured you are "overbreathing"  Air goes in, air goes out smile Nothing bad will happen to you I promise.

• Posted

Whenever you go to the doctor, one of the things the nurse does is measure your oxygen saturation rate. Trust me, if it was too low, they wouldn't let you out of there without dealing with it. I didn't even know they were measuring it until I noticed it mentioned on the sheet they gave me when the visit was over. Mine goes between 93 and 100, so I guess that's okay.

• Posted

Yeah thats true. Thanks ! I have it between 97 and 100 usually smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.