Feel like I’m dying when falling asleep

Posted , 81 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed in 2017 with CFS after having glandular fever in 2016. I've found it difficult to get my sleep pattern in order because I cant seem to manage staying awake more than 12hours, I'm usually completely shattered after 6-8hours. Anyway, every time i struggle to get some sort of good pattern going when I'm falling asleep i feel like I'm dying and it terrifies me. So I try to stay awake a bit longer. I Just wondered if anyone else gets this?

8 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

i feel the same way. i often try to stay up as long as i could because im scared to fall asleep. i get up several times during the night because of palpitations. my cycle is near too and i normally get horrible anxiety before it comes.

• Edited

hello,

im struggling as i type this message, ive never had anything like this before, im quite scared to be honest, im so tired and so i try to fall asleep and as im on the edge of "being asleep" my body panics and wakes up, it feels horrible like im on the edge of dieing, i feel so mentally ill right now!

• Edited

I have just come upon this while searching for why this is also happening to me. I'm getting it frequently and it's terrifying. It's very physical, with rapid and irregular heartbeat, a pounding head, hot flushes, shaking and, as you say, generally feeling like I'm dying. Also, on one occasion, I heard a tremendous bang, even getting up and looking out the window to see if something had happened outside. It wasn't, so obviously that was in my head too.

I do have a complicated medical history with autoimmune diseases and am currently reducing my dose of steroids but have never experienced anything like this before. I'm getting frightened to go to sleep now.

• Edited

Ive come here to search for answers as well, and to my surprise, your experience is one that I can relate to. I've been dealing with this for some years now, and it's so exhausting. Some nights I just stay up and cry rather than fall asleep. I've also experienced hearing a bang outside, and rushed to see what it is only to find that it was nothing. This brought so much worry over me. I've tried to explain to doctors the feeling that I get whenever I do try falling asleep. Both doctors told me that I'm having anxiety attacks in my sleep, but I don't know. I feel like it's so much more. Ive also experienced having like almost an electric shock going through my head, with heart palpitations and trouble breathing afterwards. The experiences are so bad at times that I've jumped out of bed and rushed out of my room to find help due to me feeling as though I'm near death. I'm hoping to find more answers soon.This has really been a struggle. I hope you find the answers you need as well. I hope we all do.

• Edited

im lying in bed googling why this is happening to me now......this happens to me a lot mostly i wake up at around 3-4am and then cant get back to sleep until around 6 and have this happen..... sometimes its like i gasp for breath (even though my breathing is fine) and sometimes its like a click in my head or like im being pulled out of my body...... stress and anxiety is all ive found so far!!

• Edited

im looking for answers too. I just nearly fall asleep then it feels like my body is shutting down and if I dont wake myself up out of it its the end sometimes I break out of it gasping for air to breathe..its been happening for a while of and on but it scares me when it happens and I dont end up sleeping. I remember mentioning it to a Dr when it 1st started and he said it was nothing to worry about..but Im not so sure..

• Posted

i feel the same exact way. i feel like Im going to have a heart attack, stroke and something is wrong with my brain. trying some sleep gummies now but they dont knock me out. still having issues.

• Edited

finally relate and engage with other people

experiencing this sudden "drowning" or falling off an infinite deep dark depth just when about to fall asleep...really scary!!

• Posted

finally relate and engage with other people

experiencing this sudden "drowning" or falling off an infinite deep dark depth just when about to fall asleep...really scary!!

• Edited

Hello everyone! A few years ago, symptoms similar to the ones you describe here began to bother me. When I was falling asleep, I felt like I was dying or unconscious. This "sensation" automatically woke me up and resulted in my sleep disorder. I would also have trouble with heart skipping and breathing. I went to various doctors and no one gave me a specific answer except that most of my problems were related to panic attacks or neurological problems. However, I was persistent and found a solution to my problem. A blood test showed that my potassium level was lower (it was not below the limit). The cardiologist referred me to a drug that raises potassium levels in my blood. For the first couple of days I didn't feel any change, but after a couple of days all my symptoms disappeared completely. I do not want to give anyone a false hope here, but I advise you to check your blood potassium level as it can cause all sorts of neurological and heart problems. I know how frustrating sleep deprivation is and how powerless you feel in those moments, so I sincerely hope this helps at least someone. Good luck!

• Posted

I have been having the same problem for quite a while. I thought it might have something to do with anxiety. Then I thought maybe heart related? I don't know but my doctor will think I'm a weirdo if I bring it up. I already have a small laundry list of problems.

• Edited

I can't believe I found this discussion... I have been looking for answers to this for years, or at least, to find someone else who knew what I was I was trying to describe. I feel much less crazy now. I have had this issue off and on for many years. Sometimes I go months with no occurrence, and then, out of nowhere, it comes back for weeks. It's back for me now. I am so tired and so miserable and so panicked. If anyone finds out anything about this condition, please post. I had a seizure once years ago, and something about this has always reminded me of that. Also, as some others have said, I experience this during the day while awake too.

• Posted

me too. most everyone doesn't understand what I'm talking about. my fiance says he gets it once in awhile. But I wonder cause he never mentioned it before and this is something that you don't forget!!!! I still get it, but not as often. I wonder if it has something to do with going off sleeping pills.....but nobody else has mentioned being on them. well, welcome to our crazy group.

• Posted

same here, it has happened while out to dinner, driving/riding down the road. scares me to no end. just read that it could possibly be potassium related ?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.