Feel like I'm going backwards

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 13 weeks post right TKR and lateral repair. I was doing really well. Managing five with my PT achieving over 120 bend and walking with a cane Really please with the way my knee was manoeuvring Last week I started to get pains behind my knee and the back of my lower leg , almost cramp like pain and stiffness. The numbness on the right side of my knee is gradually going away but I am now feeling pain when I bend my knee and it is starting to swell up again. Any suggestions as to how I can move on from this I am also not sleeping too well atm Thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Omg so sorry to hear. However jo this is still healing time and your going to have those aches n pains every so often. From what I understand thru this website, friends, neighbors n medical it takes six months to a year for full healing n we still may get a pang and a wang every so often.  I suggest wait a few days, rest n see where it goes from there.  Sorry I don't have a lot to offer, all I can say is maybe read thru other Tkr stories it may help to rest assured, best of peace n healing, kathy p 😇🍀🍵
  • Posted

Hi Jo,

Sorry to hear that. I am only 5 weeks out, so not qualified to give any technical advice.

Just try to keep positive and hopefully it will be a temporary problem.

I will say a prayer for you tonight.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you and wishing you the best for your recovery
  • Posted

Back off your excercises and let it rest and catch up. Therapists push the heck out of you with the theory that rehab is all you are doing. Then you add normal daily living to that and you just push beyond your limits. D ok my quit completely but give your body a break.....rest and hydrate. Dehydration is The biggest drain on your entire system. Soft tissue doesnt stretch and stay pliable. Just ice and elevate and if necessary get back on regular pain meds for awhile. Listen to you body.....it's in control.
    • Posted

Thank you I have cut down a little on my PT and am stretching those damn muscles more and resting when I need to and have upped my water Hopefully things will get back on track soon Thanks again. It's so good to be able to talk to others who have /are going through the same - docs sometimes just don't get it !!
  • Posted

Hi Jo, I am 10 weeks post op and having similar issues. The back of my knee is very sore again and whole knee is stiff including after exercise. it also is more swollen, and ankle is too, today than has been since first had op. I know I maybe have done a little too much in the house as well as all my physio, bike and walk but have iced, elevated and have had some painkillers. I dont know how well I will sleep tonight as sleep is still a big problem, I still waken 2-3 times a night but do get back over quicker than at first.  I think you may have to slow down a little ans as Ofg says hydrate too. If there is no improvement at start of week I would maybe try see dr. Take care. 
  • Posted

Hi Jo,

I'm sorry for everything that you're going through. I have had both of my knees replaced. The right knee surgery was on 1/22/16 and it is at 11 weeks and the left knee was replaced on 3/8/16 and it is at 18 weeks. With both of my knees I have experienced all of the pain and discomfort sensations that you have described. With the right knee feeling as good as it does I can attest to you that it does get better!

What amazes me is that with each week it seems that my knees are definitely improving in healing, especially if you are eating and sleeping well. With my left knee sleeping is still an issue at night and I find myself having to take half of a pain tablet to help with that. I don't know what pain medication regimen you're on but I know that at this stage the doctor is trying to wean me off pain meds all together. Which seems to be working well because I only need it for that little bit of sleeplessness due to discomfort that I too experience. I don't know if this will help for you but I have also been prescribed meloxicam which is a prescribed anti-inflammatory which really seems to help with the swelling and stiffness. These two seem to tie in together.When there is swelling your your range of motion is decreased dramatically therefore you feel the stiffness, but on rare occasions I'll have stiffness with out so much swelling. What I have also found to help is to take glucosamine sulfate with chondroitin & MSM as directed on the bottle. I'm not a doctor but I know that I stopped taking this for a while because the type that I take is a little costly right now. I thought that it wouldn't make much of a difference but when I did start taking it again what I found that it really does make a difference! Then again everyone is different but this is something that you might want to try. Massaging your knee with a nice lotion right down to the calf and ankle also helps.

Also do whatever it takes to keep moving. I have found that bicycling and just walking are the best exercise right now. And Stretch, stretch whenever you can! Stretch those calf muscles your quads and hamstrings...it feels sooo good to just stretch!

These things are still helping me now. As with anything if the pain and discomfort get so intense I would definitely ask your doctor about what you're experiencing. Right now I'm dealing with my left knee cap feeling like it's just floating around in there when there is swelling. And I did ask my doctor about it and he said that it was normal and that this sensation will soon be gone as my knee heals and the knee cap settles in.

Hope this helps... also I'm not a big fan of the cane I used my walker right up until I was able to walk without an aid I really felt that by supporting yourself on both sides I was able to "train" my knee to help my feet get that natural Heel To Toe gait. I was not able to achieve that by using the cane alone.

Wishing you healing.

Blessings, Deb

• Posted

Great message Deborah.

Great information.

Thank You,

God Bless,

Al

• Posted

Thank you for all your advice and kind words. I'm just taking each day as it comes , slowed down a ittle and yes the stretching does help. Hope you continue to recover well. Thanks x
    • Posted

Your so right deb. Everyone out there listen to the deb girl, she hit it right on the head with her support n advice. I'm 10 weeks in n have all these symptoms, as I read on about us Tkr patients, I find it helps my head as well as my body.  Encouraging yourself n trying to stay positive is an additional advantage to getting back on track.  Mind, body and soul, something to say about that.  Stay strong everyone n if your in need we're all hear to listen n let u know your not losing your best self, it just takes hard work, patience, rest n healing time 😇🍀🍵, don't forget to eat n drink lots of water ..... 
  • Posted

Also should have mentioned that listening to your body when it needs rest is all important too... ice elevation and getting that good deep healing sleep on my best friend's to recuperate at this time.. hope this helps. ❤
    • Posted

Can that be just a casual acquaintance and not necessiarly a best friend?
  • Posted

OMG...typo.. ice , rest and getting that good deep healing sleep ARE my best friends at this time... I'm not sleeping ON my best friends! Hee! 😄
    • Posted

Ha, Ha.

Thanks for making me smile so early on a Saturday morning😆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.