Feel like I'm losing my sight

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I would value some input from others who have suffered dry eyes.

From the beginning of this year until now my eyes have got progressively worse. Dry, burning, sore and slightly bloodshot, but the worst thing is the disruption to my vision. In the morning I literally wouldn't be able to read a thing, and even though it does improve after an hour or so I now constantly have a clouding and aversion to brightness. I can see up close although blurred, the worst thing is trying to look into the distance which is now difficult. 

It was the optician who diagnosed it, as I initially went due to the deterioration in my sight rather than the feelings in my eyes which I hadn't really noticed at the time. He just told me it's common because we all use computers etc and that I should use eye drops...

I went to my GP as I found the drops weren't sorting the problem and he prescribed some ointment.

My questions are, should I just accept I have dry eyes and use these products indefinitely or should my GP try to diagnose the underlying cause (if there is one)? 

Many thanks (P.S. I'm a 28yo female)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi often dry eyes need more care then drops . One of the main causes of dry eyes is called meibomian gland disfunction. Please google this. Also refered to as mgd eye or posterior blepharitis. My doctor did not diagnose this at first,after 2 other eye doctors,dont go to an optician or gp,go to an optomotrist or opthmologist i was diagnosed. Please ask them to check you specifically for this. I have Posterior mgd/blepharitis. They must check your upper and lower lid glands,not tear glands,but glands that line the entire length of each lid. Mgd is one of the main causes of dry eye. Xx
  • Posted

I had,have,all your symptoms,some days are better then others.
  • Posted

I suffered from the same cloudiness & being sensitive to light for some time & was referred to an NHS opthalmologist who checked my eyes & my sight & told me to return in 2 months . When I went back in 2 months nothing had changed & was told to cone back in 2 months again . By this pint I was so fed up I went to a private opthalmologist who advised I had early stage cataracts.I have since had cataract & vision correction surgery . 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am now considering doing the same as O don't think my GP is interested in finding out what the problem is

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.