Feel like I'm over the worst of the deficiency symptoms but my hair is still falling out......

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I discovered my red blood cells were enlarged about 8 months ago, long story short I live outside the UK and it was very expensive to look into getting the frequent injections I needed so I took matters into my own hands, bought online, self injected and started to feel much much better within a few months (after some initial up and downs but now I'm way way better). However I've lost over half the volume of my hair, and it's still falling out sad I'm very conscious of it, I'm 39 and was thrown into peri menopause by this all as my periods just stopped (doc says lack of estrogen made my hair fall out) however I no longer think this is the case, as I am healing my cycle is starting to return, but not my hair, does anyone else have this and what can I do to help it?

I'm getting a bit desperate, I've tried Saw Palmetto, and I eat quite a healthy diet, I've also started to try and exercise more often, I take zinc and folate.

I want my hair back sad

TIA

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is good that you are supplementing your  Folate as this is essential to process the B12.

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Symptoms of a folate deficiency can include:

symptoms related to anaemia

reduced sense of taste

diarrhoea

numbness and tingling in the feet and hands

muscle weakness

depression

Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly.

Hair loss is associated with iron deficiency anaemia so I guess if you can get your iron "sorted" it may help your hair growth.

I am not a medically trained person but have had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for over 46 years.

I wish you well.

• Posted

I am so sorry. I have been taking B12 for seven years. In October, I picked up a new prescription of it. My hair stopped growing and by mid November I was losing my hair. Currently I am just about bald on top and have enough hair in back that it doesn't yesterday show how little I have. I take no other drugs, eat an organic healthy diet with meat and fish, walk 13,000 steps a day. Blood work done by my doctor and an endocrinologist due not detect anything abnormal. I am awaiting biopsy results from my head. I tried to find out if theB12 came from a different manufacturer but the pharmacy said, "they didn't think so." I want to know if the process of making it changed, or if there can be "bad" b12 out there. I share your pain! 

• Posted

Hi, 

i have taken B12 shots for almost 7 years then the pharmacy I used changed who they bought the B12 from. With research I discovered it was a company in India. I stopped their B12 45 days ago. My hair is finally beginning to grow back but hair that has not grown since last September is still, now slowly, falling out. Find out who makes your B12. If it is a company that begins with "W" located in India. Stop taking it and get a different formulation. Please keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.