Feel like I need to have BM but can’t, and nausea?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone, 

So I am 19 years old, almost 20. Lately I have had some strange symptoms with my bowels and stomach. Usually I will have a bowel movement (BM) in the morning that is EXTREMELY easy to pass and almost feels like it is falling out of my body. They look fairly normal but sound greasy as they are coming out (I know it’s gross, I’m sorry).

Then as the day progresses, I will persistently feel like I need to have another BM, but no matter how hard I strain, nothing will come out. And if anything does come out they are thin and short, followed by a very small amount of blood on the toilet paper when I wipe (but the blood has been happening for years). No blood in the stool that I can see, and I am very nauseous throughout the day as well.

I had a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy done last June and those both came back clear as far as I know. So I just want to know, is anyone else experiencing these symptoms? If so, what was your diagnosis? Is it just IBS? Colon Cancer? I know people can get colon cancer at a young age.

Thanks for your feedback,

Joey

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I should also mention that I have upper abdominal pain occasionally throughout the day, and I find it hard to pass gas if I need to.
    • Posted

Nausea is also common with Irritable Bowel.  I have had this.  Try a food diary to see what foods could be causing nausea.   Nausea can also be caused by IBS pain and anxiety.

Has your gallbladder been checked via ultrasound or HIDA scan?

• Posted

Try cutting out greasy foods from your diet and don’t strain too hard for a bowel movement.  Excessive straining can cause fissures and haemorrhoids which can cause bright red blood.  What did your doctor say about the bleeding?  Have you been checked for haemorrhoids and fissures? 

Bowel cancer is very rare at your age but IBS is far more common especially if you suffer from anxiety.  A clear colonoscopy and endoscopy is good news for you. I have had loose, thin stools with IBS which causes bowel habit change.  Had your doctor suggested any diagnosis?

• Posted

My doctors don’t really know what is going on so they sort of just say that I have IBS. And yes, my gallbladder was checked twice via ultrasound and was normal both times.
    • Posted

If nothing else has shown up, IBS is diagnosed.  Has your doctor tried you on antispasmodics for the pain?  IBS pain can be felt just about anywhere and moves about and radiates.  Do you symptoms come on after eating?  This is also common with IBS.  Try a food diary to see if anything shows up.

Maybe change your doctor to get someone who can tell you definitely what is wrong. If you have IBS, it is important to get a firm diagnosis.

Were you ever tested for celiac? 

• Posted

Yes and it was negative. I noticed when I had my BM today they were slightly flat and had some red in parts of it, but it was very faint. I’m not sure what it could be.
    • Posted

The red might be skins from red peppers, tomatoes or fruit.  Some people also get flat stools with IBS.  Your symptoms do sound like IBS, you have had several negative tests and your doctors have said you have IBS.  I would accept this and leave it at that unless your symptoms worsen, or you develop symptoms that are not characteristic of IBS.

• Posted

So what should I do about this persistent rectal pressure and inability to pass gas? It’s driving me nuts.
    • Posted

Windeze or bicarbonate of soda helps to release gas and I have found milk helps too.  Avoid gassy drinks and broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts. If you are getting rectal pressure from stool build up, try a short term laxative or prune juice. You could also try solid fruit and remove the skin if you are finding particles of it in your stool.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.