Feel like im drowning

Posted , 5 users are following.

For as long as I can remember i've had anxiety. Recently the anxiety is slowly transforming into crippling depression. I can't deal wit this anymore, i dont want to live like this anymore. I dont understand why i feel like this though, i have everything. Family, friends, home, food bt i just can a reason to keep going.

My psychiatrist recommended anti-anxiety and anti-depressients but im really scared to go on them. It's runing the relationship between me and any other person. I dont want to do this anymore, it's really hurting.

Please help me.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered off and on with the same problem, maybe not the same reason. I went to a psychiatrist for years, and if he hadn't retired i would still be going. There are none in an 80 mile vicinity. He to prescribed medications that i was leary of taking. Finally, after our trust had meshed, he asked me why i came to him. My answer, was to seek advice. He replied, very calmly, "then take it." So he went on and explained, try them and if you find it doesn't help or makes you worse, we can go down another avenue. I did try them. It took a few trial and errors, but we found the right one. Are things perfect? No, but a heck of a lot better than they were. I go out now. I am able to socialize in small doses. I am volunteering in a few different areas. When i get there, i enjoy myself. Giving something to people, is something i feel I am pretty good at.

Sure i have some not so good days, but everyone does. 

Like my doctor said, try the medication. If it doesn't do the trick, talk about changing it or going off it.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Escitalopram is an anti anxiety and anti depressant I am taking 15mg per day and I cant recommend it enough especially for anxiety which I suffered with really badly it almost completely stopped it straight away, I too was scared to take it and started of on a tiny dose of 5mg per day, looking back I wished I had just taken more sooner because its really helped me, all the best and hope this helps x
    • Posted

Thank you, im going to the psychiatrist on friday lets see what he says

• Posted

Hi Rhaya,

well you could not use meds and carry on like are currently or try them out and have a lot of improvement.  Really, there are millions of people on pshchotropic drugs who are doing fine

• Posted

Hi Rhaya - sorry to read of your dilemma. You have nothing to lose going to the psychiatrist. The fact is that your condition is not mind over matter. You need help to deal with this illness before it becomes totally crippling. If it means taking meds then so be it. You should also be seeing a psychologist/counsellor to ascertain the underlying issues to your illness, recognise trigger events, and learn coping skills. Take action. You will feel better for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.