Feel like my experience is different than most?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all, I had bunion surgery, the kind where you get an incision on the side and in between the big toe and second toe. However, my experience is as follows. I was placed in a sandal of sorts immediately, and I ended up being in crazy pain a day after surgery. I was not given crutches and was told I could heel walk immediately (I could not though). Foot on fire, never ending pain, it was incredible. However, I went in for the 2 week evaluation and saw my foot. The stitching looks messy and it looks just generally worse than I see online. I did not get the stitches out and will not get them out until 6 weeks which sounds weird.

Everything I read talks about being non weight bearing, getting a boot, stitches and bandages off after two weeks. What's the deal? How could my experience seem to vary so much?

Oh yeah, my stitches bother the hell out of me. 4 more weeks of this? Unreal!

Here's the picture too. View at your own discretion lol https://imgur.com/a/aR6UC

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh my that looks really painful.  I had my bunion done with a toe fusion and was like you said sent home with crutches, to try and weight bear as soon as I could, stitches out at 2 weeks.  I think personally you should make an appointment with your GP or Nurse at the GP and see what they think.  Maybe even call a podiatrist to see what they think.

You can hire crutches from red cross if you have one near to you.

Hope you start to feel better soon.    Take care Clara x 

• Posted

I had the same surgery (Scarf  and Aiken osteotomy) on both feet October 2016. I was told that I had to keep my feet elevated for 2 weeks after surgery and the only time I was allowed to walk (on my heels in the shoes provided by the hospital) was when I needed to go to the loo! That was really difficult, especially as I was used to being on my feet all day pre-surgery. Your foot looks pretty much like mine did ( if I can work out how to post the pictures, I will 🙂wink - swollen, which is to be expected, and it will be for a while. Mine took about a year to get back to normal. Your big toe will move back to a normal position - mine were in ‘v’s as well and I was worried that they would stay like it, but it’s surprising how soon they close up. My stitches came out after 2 weeks and I was worried that they would split open, but I think you just worry unnecessarily. I’m sure they are leaving them in for a good reason, but perhaps you should call your GP just for peace of mind. Paracetamol worked for me, but different people have different pain tolerance. You have to keep your foot up as much as possible. Rest up and it will heal more quickly ( that’s what I was told). I know it’s tricky, especially if you’re a busy person, but it’ll be worth it.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Take care 

• Posted

Hi. Your experience sounds pretty similar to mine so please don’t worry   My big and second toes are still very swollen and toes seems in the wrong place and stick up higher than my others but they really are getting better each week. I had it done 2 December so approximately 9 weeks ago.  Each week really does get better.  I was warned it takes between 6 to 12 months for full recovery so early days for us both yet 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.