Feel like my heart stops when in bed

Posted , 8 users are following.

For about a year now I have been having this issue. During the day I feel fine, but when I am in bed starting to fall asleep, I get a sudden horrible sensation that my heart has suddenly stopped. When it happens I then start breathing as if i've just held my head under water for 2 minutes, and my heart beat is racing extremely fast - this happens for about 10 seconds then I feel back to normal. 

I usually get this once or twice every night and it always happens just as I am starting to fall asleep. I've had my heard checked out and all tests came back normal.

Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did you have a seven day ECG monitor ?
  • Posted

Have you have sleeping tests?

It could be you are stopping breathing during sleep which is disturbing your pulse rate?

Are you obese?

• Posted

Have you been checked for sleep apnea?
  • Posted

If you do stop breathing a couple of times during your sleep, that's called sleep apnea. You can look it up. Often, people usually undergo "nocturnal polysomnography". the test will monitor your heart and lungs (also brain activity) while you sleep.

• Posted

Hi

This also happens to me. I jump up quickly thinking that i have stopped breathing. I also get symptons of fluttering before this happens it dosnt happen every night but around twice per week and really scares me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.