Feel like my mum as been penalised by pip

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would really like someone to give me some desperate help to find out why my mother as been turned down everytime she makes a claim to these people... The first time we applied for this benifit it was disability.. we appealed that decision over the phone because we rang them from hospital were my mother was sectioned they overturned that and received high rate disability low rate mobility.Then it changed to pip.. That claim was turned down it took 2 years to reach the third tier tribunal were we sat as if we were on trial.. my mother was so distressed about been there they allowed a break . Still rocking and shaking with the stress the panel decided to cut the procidings short .. And we won and my mother received high rate disability again and middle rate mobility.. now it looks like we have to go though all this again.. in November I had to take my mother for another medical .. she was that dessresed once again .. the so called health care professional didn't no what to do . And went to speak to her manager.. I was told that they may have to make another appointment to try and get my mother to answer questions.. I said that why you putting her though this again .. Why not do a home vist. I was told they couldn't do that because my mother van be violent. I was told to see my GP and ask them to write a letter.. never have I known a doctor to write a letter . I thought you sign to give permission for them to see your medical notes.. it gets better 2 wks later another appointment but at home . .. I let my mother take some of her meds early to try and keep her calm. This is an ani sicotic drug. .. good news this time she as been awared this benifi t.. But this time it is low rate disability and nothing for mobility.. are they taking the pip out of people . So what should I do .. can someone give me some much needed advice please

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela

You need to realise first of all that PIP isn't awarded for life but for a period of years and is reviewed the year before her current award is due to run out. That's the reason there are repeated assessments.

It's the government who make these rules and not the DWP.

If you disagree you have 28 days to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, if this comes back with no change you will then be able to go ahead with another appeal to the tribunal service.

Please also remember that your mother could lose the award she's been granted now if this goes against her.

It is always best to get help from Welfare rights or CAB with your appeal.

I wish you all the best

Wendy xx

• Posted

Hi,

The part where you said you thought you sign to give permission for them to see you medical notes.... Incorrect, yes we sign the form but it's not just for that reason. We sign to say, what we have written is true. Also DWP or the assesssment providers  very rarely contact any medical professional. If they did then the backlogs would be even longer than they already are. Did your mum send in any medical evdence to support her claim? You always need to send in evidence to support any claim, regardless of how long you've been claiming it.  It is also extremely difficult to get a mobility award for mental health.

I'm not sure what you meant by "third Tier Tribunal" There's an Upper Tier Tribunal, is that what you meant?

As wendy said by asking for a MR you do risk losing everything you already have. Most MR decisions remain the same, infact only 20% of these decisions change. The chnaces of having to take it to Tribunal are high.

You say she got low disability? do you mean she got Standard Daily Living because there's no suchh thing as low disability? How many points did she score to get this award?

Good luck with whatever she decides to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.