Feel like my throat is closing when I’m having anxiety attack.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having a panic attack and I feel like my throat is closing up. Anyone else have this feeling? If so how do I make it stop? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Try and do some deep breathing and repeat the words “ I am okay , I am safe” it will help take your mind off it 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for giving me some pointers. I feel like it’s never going to end though. Ughh...
  • Posted

Hi Shauna 99813 I had the same feeling yesterday throat felt like it was closing and chest felt heavy it's not a good feeling at all! Jenna 324 is right I usually repeat the words " I'm fine this will pass". My psychologist told me to acknowledge the physical feeling if you push it away it just makes it worst that's what I've been doing and trying my best to learn how to do this. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Does it usually pass for you? I’ve never felt like this before. This just started happening in December and that’s when I got put on Zoloft. I constantly feel shaky on the inside and like I’m going to pass out. Can’t eat hard to drink anything I just don’t understand.sad
    • Posted

All the side effects of Zoloft makes us feel so much worse especially since we already have anxiety! It increases it so much. I know it’s so hard but time will pass and it will get better and you’ll look back and say wow I got over the hard part! Try and mediate or yoga. It will help relax you. 
    • Posted

Yes it does pass it feels like forever you will get through. I just started on Zoloft in Dec too felt nauseous and really tired and foggy my doctor suggested taking it at night so we will see how it goes. I do feel more jittery and just weird sometimes like butterflies all over. I just joined this forum today and it's great makes me feel like I'm not alone and that eventually it will be all normal again.

• Posted

I agree about telling yourself that you are safe and fine as people have mentioned. Also I find that sitting near an open window or outside even in a comfortable spot with my head tilted back giving me the feeling of opening my throat helps me. I go back to the same spot each time as I know I'm safe and calm there. Deep slooooow breathes too. X

• Posted

Hi Shaunta99813 I know exactly how you feel. I've suffered from anxiety disorder for 3 years, it has caused me to have a very strong phobia of being alone. I get that feeling also If im ever in a situation where I am alone or if I know I'm going to be alone. Feels as though someone has their hands round my neck slowly squeezing. I've recently been to the doctors who put me on sertraline only been on it a week still waiting for my body to adjust. Have you spoken to your gp about your anxiety? Maybe it's worth booking an appointment to help you with it. Hope you feel better soon x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.