Feel like screaming!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm now 9 weeks post op having had chevron bunionecotomy my concern is my big toes still point outwards, toes spacers are worn daily/nightly yet

as soon as I remove them to bathe my feet they revert back towards the

other toes. I've been wearing them for 3 weeks now with no obvious

results. Has any one had experience of toe spacers working?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Is the actual bone straight - the bone where the bunion used to  be?
    • Posted

To me it still looks like the bunion is still slightly there...I'm

writing this using a tablet and don't know how to upload a

photo. Actually looking at the photo the whole toe slants

inwards.

• Posted

I would figure your foot would be straight as well - I was informed soon as surgery is completed, then you should see it but obviously after the bandages are removed.  Since yours is all healed; what did the doctor said about your foot curving back inward?  Also with "chevron bunionecotomy" procedure - are pins used as well or did you just get your bunion shaved down?  If they only shaved it down, then i would see that happening.
  • Posted

I have been using toe spacers but only some of the time. I have found by they are a bit too big and I have found that they seem to push the second toe over.  This now seems to be very near to toe 3. Wondering I anyone else has found this? My surgeon did not tell me to wear them but said that I could when I asked him
    • Posted

My surgeon on removing my casts told me to go to the

chemist and purchase a pait. Mine also push all my other toes

to the side.

• Posted

Interesting. Mine are Scholl spacers. Wonder if you can get any which are smaller? My surgeon just said to get them from Boots (other stores are available! )
  • Posted

Hi. The spacer I was given says on the packaging that it will not do any more than the operation has done, it will not move your toe by wearing it alone. I am 8 weeks post op and have found that the joint where the bunion was is now straight, but the toe joint (not operated on) does still turn towards the other toes slightly. I am happy with the alignment I have and just happy that the big lump I used to have us gone and which causes the pain. Are you having physio? One of the exercises I was given helps mobilise the toe again 
    • Posted

Thing is it still looks like i have a bump only not as apparent.

The whole toe slants inwards. I'm not looking for perfectly

straight toes its just that after having spent some weeks in

pain from a bunion removal I'd like the bunion gone but as the

toe is slanting inwards its making the boney bit reappear.

• Posted

Hmmm the one thing I have learnt is that perfection is hard to achieve! Does it hurt less, that wouk at least be somthing positive, trying to look on the brights side
    • Posted

Its still quite tender at the moment...the 6 weeks and you'll be fine never

materialised either.   Think I managed a photo or 2.

• Posted

I'm 8 weeks post scarf/akin surgery, plus a fracture (which I wasn't aware of beforehand), walking, driving and working, but it still looks like I have a bunion, much smaller but it is there. I had bunion surgery 20years ago on both feet but they grew back. I'm just hoping that it's just swollen and will go down.
    • Posted

Interesting to hear from someone who has previously had bunion removal and needed to have it again. I had mine removed 40 plus years ago when I was 11 and am now 10 weeks post op version 2. Wonder if you have flat feet which my surgeon said increased the chance of return? I have 
  • Posted

Hopefully I managed to post photos.
  • Posted

Hi misskh,

My Surgeon initially suggested Chevron for my left foot bunion. During his second visit he changed to Scarf Osteotomy for my operation. I personally felt now that I am satisfied and lucky that he chosed the later procedure. After more than a year my toe is really straight and nice. One thing he also advised me to tailor made an insole for my flat feet. The fibre glass type insole has help a lot to help to maintain the arc of my feet. This insole can last for years and under warranty for 10 years with biyearly services.

• Posted

My surgery isn't until March 2015 - i haven't actually gotten "medical term" for my type of surgery.  I'm finding out there are way more type of bunion surgery that i still don't know - my next treatment is Jan, so i'm going to ask what surgerical term will be used for my type of surgery.
    • Posted

I've made an appointment with my Dr next week will ask

about a referral to see a podiatrist to see what they

recommend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.