Feel like something is stuck in my throat

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past 10 months I've been having an issue, off an on, where it feels like there's something stuck in my throat. It moves, sometimes it's in the back of my throat, and sometimes closer to the top of my chest. I went to the Dr when it first started and he said it was likely excess flem/mucus and I should just drink more water. It does seem to be less of an issue when I stay better hydrated, but I thought it would eventually go away for good. The worst thing is that when I think I notice it, I start an obsessive swallowing thing that makes it worse. My eating habits are fairly normal, but could probably be healthier. I'm a moderate beer drinker, (2ish beers, 6 days a week give or take). Thats probably the least healthiest part. I have the occasional indigestion, but far from chronic. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Should I get a second opinion?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joseph. There is a lot of evidence that the sensation you describe comes about because of muscle tension in the neck, back etc. There are many muscles that get tight and releasing/stretching the muscles helps relieve the sensation.

I suggest visiting a chiropractor or osteopath but self management and awareness of muscle clenching is key. There are also a number of videos on Youtube spec about globus which are very good.

I hope this helps. Don't expect quick results. You need to work at it!

• Posted

I have this and spoke to my sister last night who said she had it last year.  It lasted about 4 weeks for her.  think it has been a couple of weeks for me.  I had terrible indigestion at first but that has now gone.  I try not to think about it and when I am occupied with work or chatting I forget about it.  When I think about it it gets worse!  When I eat I don't feel it at all.  I don't have the answer I'm afraid.  My sister works for a private practice and she said the best thing to do is try and forget about it ...... easier said than done but it worked for her!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.