Feel like there is a lump inside my throat, can't eat around others, gag when nervous

Posted , 6 users are following.

This has been around for a year and a half now. I literally can't live the life I had before. I can't go outdoors, treat my girlfriend, do anything normal now.

It's now got to the point where I can't even go to the doctors as I will throw up or gag, so I can't do that.

When I'm nervous, such as my girlfriend coming round, my stomach will play up and almost make me vomit. It's just horrible.

I did go to the hospital for a blood test and stool sample, nothing was wrong.

I've heard possibly therapy could fix this as it is psychological, but for sure there is something irritating my throat.

What do you guys think it is? It's so difficult as I can't even get it checked out. It interviews also with me finding a job as I'll throw up during an interview. sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like they are being triggered by anxiety.  The lump in your throat feeling can also be caused by stress and tenaion.  I have had the lump in throat feeling along with reflux when anxious.  To get therapy, you will need to get referred by your doctor.  See if you can get a telephone consultation with your doctor since going there in person is stressing you.
    • Posted

I had the lump sensation in my throat only very briefly and then it it went away on its own without doing anything once the period of stress passed, I still get reflux though on a random basis and not alawys when stressed.  Over the counter antacids help.

I try to avoid stressful situations as much as possible and have learned to accept my anxious personality because it is linked to my Aspergers.  I now also have stress related IBS so I have to think about the affect on my stomach too.

In your case, your stress symptoms are seriously impacting on your life, so I think therapy of some sort would be beneficial. I have great difficulty going to doctors too and and really have to force myself especially since it can trigger my IBS.

• Posted

Hi dillz97

Have you had the inside of your throat examined.....this could be done via

Ultrasound scan or MRI Scan to see what is going on in our oesophogus

since you are convinced there is something irritating your throat...it's your throat

and you should know if there is an irritation there your the one who can feel it nobody

else...I know sometimes it's hard convincing the medical profession of this.

If there us nothing irritating your throat then it would be in your best interest

to seek cognitive therapy for your anxiety...if you are anxious about seeing your doctor

put everything down in writing and send it to her/him. I'm sure you will get a reply or 'phone call....

my very best wishes to you to get this sorted out.,..

• Posted

Are you losing or gaining weight? Are you having papatations in your chest? How are you tolerating the sunny temperature? If you answered yes to any of these then you should get your Throid checked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.