Feel like your going insane?? CBT? What Medications are helpful?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am 25 years old and have always been an anxious person and prone to depression during my teenage years. I thought I was over the worst of my worries and anxiety however during a presentation in University in January I had a brief panic attack and had to leave the room. Since then my anxiety has just completely spiralled out of control and I spend the best part of everyday with this constant anxiety and intermittent panic attacks. I am beginning to obsess now about my health and I am just convinced that I will die one of these days which I know sounds absolutely ridiculous but every physical niggle I am freaking out.The last two days I have barely moved as I am so weak and have this dull chest pain constantly. Although this is silly, My family are in Ireland and I get panicked about dying here on my own which of course makes it worse but I feel so alone at the moment. The first incident of a full blown panic attack I ended up in A&E where of course everything (Heart, Bloods etc) was fine and I went home feeling like such an idiot! Since then I have been to the doctor twice, the first one pretty much handed me sertraline tablets which I stopped taking because I would prefer to get to the route of the problem and get advice about other medications which work well. Sorry for this big rant but I am at the end of my tether dreading each minute when I am going to feel woozy again. I am emotionally and physically drained from these symptoms of anxiety. I am awaiting an assessment for CBT which my doctor recommended. I'm sure most of you can relate to my problem and I would greatly appreciate some advice/reassurance that I am not losing my mind! X

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise23955

I feel for you, one important thing you must tell yourself is your not alone and you are not going to die. I have been through so much over the last 15 years, after my brother died it tiped me over the edge, I was having panic attacks and thinking I was going to die, I still get it but not all the time, something seems to set it off, over the past week I have been having a bad time, anxiety,hot rushes,tearful,not sleeping and all the worrying thoughts coming into my head makes you feel you are going mad.

I am seeing the doctor again on Monday to talk to see if CBT will help me too.

The advice I can give you that helps me is as follows.

I stop eating and have learnt the longer I dont eat the weaker I get so you must keep eating and drinking water even if its little bits and often.

DO NOT bottle it up and feel ashamed talk to your friends and family and especially people who are suffering the same as you, like on this forum.

I have really bad trouble forcing my self to get up and go to work, but when I do I feel better as my mind is taken away from all those negative thoughts.

Make sure you try and get a good nights sleep I take Nytol to help me.

I hope this helps a little but please remember you are not alone and keep telling your self you will beat it.

Take Care

• Posted

Thank you for your great advice GPM247. This really helps to know that there are many others in my situation and that I am not as crazy as my mind is telling me I am. I find it easier to come on this as I live with other students and it's difficult for them to grasp what is going on. My family are the same and just cannot get it really which I totally do understand. Thankfully today has been a pretty ok day so far. I really do appreciate your advice, thank you. Perhaps we can keep up to date with CBT and find out how it's going for us when we start. I hope the Doc visit goes well tomorrow for you. Chin [u]UP!![/u]
    • Posted

Hi Louise23955

Of course we can keep in touch re the CBT I will let you know, please dont bottle it up you must talk about it and I am on low dose of medication that has helped me.

• Posted

Well, I see in your headline asking about CBT and meds. CBT never worked for me, I found it totally useless, medications don't resolve issues so I don't take those. I am in cognitive analytical therapy - always remember therapy needn't begin and end with CBT, there are other options to try
    • Posted

I didn't fancy going down the meds route either as I know the issue will still be underlying. I think I will try out the CBT but will need counselling also for various reasons. What is Cognitive Analytical Therapy?
    • Posted

It concentrates more on the past than CBT, to allow dealing with where things started, CBT for me is very pointless, but I know for many it works great
    • Posted

That sounds really interesting and I may mention this when I have my assessment. It's past issues I need to address rather than working with the future first. Thank you jmcg :-)
    • Posted

No problem, I'm the same way, until the past is dealt with there's no moving forward
  • Posted

I really feel for you being so far away from your family. I live in Ireland and even being at university in the same country feels really far from home sometimes. I also had a panic attack during a presentation this year. I had heart palpitations and my heart was going what felt like 250 beats a minute. My voice was shaking, I couldn't look up because I felt like I would fall over if I did and I was rooted to the spot on the floor. I somehow made it thought the presentation on auto pilot and can't remember most of it! x
    • Posted

Thanks JooneBug, I know it's difficult no matter how far away you are. I think i'm better off away because I know they wouldn't fancy seeing me like this and I can hide it from them when I'm away. That's exactly what happened to me and I started to get clammy and just could not stay in the room and left while I was talking! I was so embarrassed especially as it was my last ever presentation and my 3rd year of doing them! That's what has set me off and the pressure of knowing what to do when I qualify. Xx
    • Posted

I'm in my final year too, I want to be an Early Years teacher but I know I have to get myself sorted before I can be responsible for teaching children. In a way, I guess that's a motivation for me to start getting better smile You shouldn't have to hide it from anyone, none of us should have to. Imagine if you had to try and hide a broken arm from people for fear of being judged! I feel that it is the same. We don't ask for this or cause it. If you ever want to talk, feel free to message me smile
  • Posted

Hi Louise,

It's completely understandable that you feel worried about this, especially if you haven't experienced it before. Don't worry, what you have described is completely normal for someone suffering from anxiety. It is good that you have taken the step to talk to a doctor and want help treating your anxiety. I take mirtazapine for anxiety and depression, it is an antidepressant rather than an anxiety medication. After four months I am feeling a lot better. I am still waiting for counselling with the nhs, so can't give any experiences on it yet. Best wishes!

• Posted

Anxiety can cause all these symptoms so don't worry and try the meds to see if they help you.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.