Feel my metal knee whenever I move.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now nearly 6 months after a total knee replacement. All went really well to begin with, good movement, which I still have but I am finding more and more that I can feel the metal in my knee. It is not pain exactly but I am aware of it whenever I move and the right side of my knee feels sore and numb when I touch it, which in itself does not worry me much.

I am not walking much because my hip needs replacing and I am wondering if my progress is  slow because of that. I really feel I am going one step forward, two steps back.

Wish I did not have this unpleasant feeling in my knee. Does anyone else have this and does it go away eventually?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine I am virtually the same stage as you & have exactly the same problems.The Knee is numb down 1 side and a strange feeling as if the new knee is too large.I have a new hip too but it no bother but have had 2 spinal surgeries one of which failed and the knee op has made that worse.In actual fact my mobility is worse now than before the operation,

• Posted

Thanks Pat. Glad I am not the only one. It is difficult to describe the exactly feeling but not nice. Onwards and upwards though as they say. 
  • Posted

I'm 2+ years post-op and I still have a touch of soreness and numbness.  They cut all the nerves...what do you expect after that?  I can say that those feelings are waaaaay less now than at 6 months.  Just have to give it time...lots of time.  Kneeling on hard surfaces will always be a challenge.  Use a 3"-4" foam pad or old pillow indoors and padded tactical kneepads for outside work. 

As far as the new knee feeling "larger" than your real one...  Wait until you're a year post-op...they will look much closer in size to where you'll hardly notice the difference.  For me, it will always be a tad larger.  When you consider that you have a 2+ pound mechanical device implanted in your leg, what did you think it would look like?  It takes a long time for all the swelling to subside and the knee look normal again.  Just give it time.

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. It is good to know that what I am feeling is normalish. It is not that one knee looks larger than the other, now the swelling has gone they both look the same really, in fact my left knee looks more swollen than my right, it also needs renewing! It is how it feels inside that troubles me, but as you say, I have a metal joint there.

I have a few friends who have had the same op and have not had a the same sensations at all, they say they cannot feel their new knee at all. 

• Posted

But again...six months?  You're in the middle of the recovery.  Give it time...  Give your knee a name...have adoption papers drawn up...accept it.  I know that I was completely unprepared for the pain, the work, the time it took to recover.  99% of us had the same reaction.  Let go of all your expectations and let the knee heal...  You'll be just fine.

• Posted

My first knee replacement 7 years ago can still feel odd and numb and even a bit sore sometimes , my recent one I am hoping will be better , I’m also 6 mths in and can’t say I feel metal but still aches and feels odd , don’t think that ever really goes 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Maybe what you feel is odd is the metal, or the other way around, when I say I feel metal maybe it is just an odd feeling, if you know what I mean.lol

It is really good to 'talk' to other people though...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.