Feel off balanced every time I walk, like I'm going to sink into the ground!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 35 and I am an overall healthy woman. In the last year, in noticed in would get dizzy while washing dishes. More recently, whenever I start walking, I immediately feel off balance and like I'm going to go through the floor. Feeling like I'm on a boat! Don't have insurance and am nervous about what this is. I have done research and the cause is most likely an inner ear balance problem. Anyone else have this and if so, what did you do about it. Please help! It's making my life with two small children difficult. Thanks!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, since your situation won't allow you to visit a doctor, try an otc medicine like Dramamine. There other similar ones at your nearest drug store. Hope this helps.

• Posted

You are right in suspecting that this may be an inner ear problem.  All things being equal, you need to see an ENT doctor with an interest in Neurotology.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I suffer from vertigo as well, when I go outside I put cotton or silicone ear plug in my bad ear, then I don't get vertigo.  Hope it helps you.

• Posted

How did you identified the "bad ear"?

• Posted

Try doing the half somersault manuver at home. There is a video online showing you how to do it. That's waht I use.

• Posted

Sometimes I have to do it several times (maybe 4) to have it work. Be sure to space them 30  minutes apart.
  • Posted

I'm 34 with two young children and been feeling like this since the start of October! Been to ent who suspect labyrinthitis but have referred me for an mri too. It's absolutely horrible and us ruining my life. I can't do half the things with the kids. Hope we are both better soon. X

• Posted

I feel worse when stood up or walking if o lay down or sit with my neck supported I feel fine.. I have two children too and it saddens me as it stops me from doing day to day things... I've even given up driving... Do you get neck pain at the top of the spine and lower part of the head when this happens cause mine gets really painful... I've had tests.. xrays.. Chiropractors..acupuncture..physio but nothing seems to work

• Posted

I'm 38 overall very healthly, I was diagnosed with VN in Aug 2015,it was a long road to recovery but you will get better.VRT saved my life! it is the only thing that will help with the balance/contstant dizzy feeling. Before that I tried everything and I mean everything.If you dont have insurance there are videos posted on youtube.

• Posted

How long did it take you to fully recover? I was diagnosed with VN the end of June 2016. I am about 80% but still have a ways to go.
  • Posted

I have had vertigo for 3 years now. I suffer with it everyday there is no let up. I am really off balance, swaying, feeling like I'm falling when I'm standing, spinning. I was diagnosed with eustachian tube dysfunction, plus recently found out I have 4 allergies. I have tried everything I can think of,.doctors, ent said there is nothing wrong with my ears, which I feel they are not telling the truth, vertigo tablets nothing is working. I understand completely where you are coming from, everyday is a real battle and it has given me really bad anxiety due to feeling like I'm going to fall over or collapse on the floor. Since May I have been having vestibular physio but it's taking so long. Try Cranio sacral therapy, that's what I'm doing now to see if it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.