Feel shocking!

Posted , 4 users are following.

So after 8 weeks on this venlafaxine (2 weeks 75mgs, 2 weeks 150mgs and 4 weeks 225mgs) , I found out today that it’s been totally prescribed wrong!! I’ve been prescribed immediate release to be taken ONCE a day instead of divided doses of 2-3. So been taking 225mgs rapid release once a day in the morning which has a half life of 5 hours. Been feeling exhausted, flu like symptoms, headaches and just been staying in bed or coming back to bed as I felt so rough. After speaking to a pharmacist about my side effects he picked up I was taking it IR once a day. Now changed  to prolonged release which is one a day lasting 24 hrs. Im on day 2 of prolonged release and still feel rubbish. Do you think it will take a bit to adjust and stabilise? And for side effects to go away? I could do with some advise/reassurance as I feel s**t! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi VickI. I have been on venlafaxine xr (extended release) capsules for 3 years now. I think they may be the same as prolonged release. I take 300 mg once a day and they work great for me. It is possible that you feel so bad because they haven't kicked in yet. I was told it can take 6 to 8 weeks to feel the optimum effect. It's a good thing your pharmacist noticed the mistake in your prescription, but it might be your body adjusting to the change in your meds. I hope you will start to feel some improvement soon. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello, it will probably take a few weeks to adjust, a bit like a dose increase. I read an article somwhere that a trial was done with taking immediate release being taken all in one dose, and divided into 2, spaced apart. There were no discernable differences between the 2 groups. It was only one trial, and not sure of doses. Having said that, its allways pescribed spaced out during the day. I would say that no damage has probably been done, but youve not had the chance so far to recover to the extent you should have done, i take immediate release, and find i get anxious if im a couple of hours late, but then im only taking 75mg at a time. Its hard to put a time on things, but would guess it would be similar to a dose increase, for things to settle down, ie 3 or 4 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.