Feel sick after using the bathroom?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys, so not sure if this is the correct forum to post this to but here goes. I've been feeling sick every time I use the bathroom. I usually get constipated so I would say I'm pretty backed up. For the past month I've been going to the bathroom but it's been very small pebble like amounts for maybe once or twice a week. Now probably 3-4 days ago I've been going every day, a lot in amount and after I'm done, I feel sick peobably 30 mins later with a nauseous feeling and my stomach hurts but the pain comes and goes. This lasts the whole day and I usually feel better the next day. Now I'm scared to even go to the bathroom! I hate feeling sick, nausea is the worst and such a fear of mine (phobia). Not sure what to think of this? Is it possible I'm ridding myself of weeks of not going properly and since it's coming out at once my intestines are straining and are hurt/sore? Before I never used to have this problem. But ever since I started to get constipated and when I go a lot in a day it happens. Any ideas please or suggestions on what to do would be great. Thanks guy.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor about IBS.
    • Posted

If you have IBS, it can be treated but not cured.  Your doctor may be able to diagnose it based on your symptoms.  However, they may test for other things first to rule them out.
    • Posted

I got diagnosed with IBS in 2015.  I started with constipation, stomach pain that moved about but was constant with four different types of pain: dull, deep grinding, stabbing and sore to touch.  I had on off nausea and a bout of loose, urgent stools along with back pain.  After diagnosis, my health anxiety disappeared and my sore stomach became more come and go pain and my stools went back to constipation or normal.

It took three and a half months to diagnose.  I try to eat more fruit to improve constipation and take buscopan and nurofen for flare ups.  I have no food triggers. Stress brings on symptoms.  Sometimes, I have had severe flare ups but most of the time they are mild or moderate.

• Posted

So after you knew what it finally was it seems that helped you stop worrying much right? Do you remember what test you took for diagnosis? Today the same thing happened to me today but I'm alright. I think my anxious habits come into role and it makes me freak out more than usual.

• Posted

I had an ultrasound, urine test, a stool test for h pylori and fecal calprotectin and a celiac test which were all negative.  At the time this didn't reassure because it didn't tell me what was wrong.  Initially, another doctor wanted to do all the tests again and someone else wanted to investigate physical causes since all the others were clear.  I never understood what the 'physical causes' were because the doctor spoke too quietly and I could barely pick up what he said.  I was too embarrassed to ask him to speak louder.

However, on the eighth visit, another doctor said I didn't need the tests repeated because I had had the same symptoms for three and half months and I didn't have any new symptoms.  He asked me about stress and diagnosed IBS on that basis.  I hadn't actually linked the months of stress I had gone through before the stomach pain and constipation appeared.

I think the health anxiety I had was triggered by the lack of diagnosis and the worry that they had missed something.  I always felt my anxiety would clear up completely if I could just get a simple, non frightening diagnosis.  At times I thought that was impossible.   Once the reason for my anxiety was gone, I was able to relax.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.