Feel so bad

Posted , 6 users are following.

I feel really bad today I had to go for an mri when I ended up having a panic attack this mri is to rule out arthritis hopefully. I feel sick because of this pain. I haven't been able to go to work for the past two days because of the pain so I'm terrified of losing my job I just feel stressed out and there seems to be no end to this pain how do I cope with this?? Sorry to moan and vent xx

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie,

I am sorry you're going through this. I lost my job in June because of an especially bad flare.  For me, it was a blessing. I do hope you don't lose your job over this. 

Did you get to complete the MRI, or was it canceled? I am from the States and when doctors know people don't like the MRI machine, they may give a valium or some such drug for the person to take an hour before the test. It might help.

I have had fibro for over 25 years now. I can go for years feeling like I've conquered it, then I get slammed with a bad flare. I have had to learn how to force myself to do things and continue on. Of course, this is getting more and more difficult the older I get. I am now 60 and other aches and pains are creeping in.

Is there someone you can talk to at work who might be understanding? Can you do part of your job from home? 

As for the pain, try to calm yourself and get some sleep. It might help after a panic attack. 

Please let us know how you are doing,

Cheryl

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply I'm a nursery nurse so it's getting more difficult to do the job I'm only 22 so my employer doesn't understand and nor do my Co workers they think I should be fit and healthy and no I didn't get to complete the scan I had a panic attack in the machine and told them I couldn't go back in and I will try that thankyou again I really do appreciate the reply xx

• Posted

I am not sure how to help you cope with this. I haven't been able to figure that part out exactly. I do know that I have to stay positive, that there has to be some hope of relief. There seems to be combinations of things that work for different people. I know for me, my doctor has me on gabapentin, tramadol, and a non-stop butrans patch. Even with these things I have more bad days than not. I am still in a ton of pain and I just do not understand how I am expected to just live like this. How can these three medications not work well enough!!!

One thing that has helped me with pain levels is a high quality concentrated tumeric supplement, I believe the term is curcumin. When I run out, I feel so much worse and painful. 

Acupuncture helped me with energy but not a ton with pain and chiro helps me with pain but my insurance took my normally allowed visits away so I have been pretty upset. He practices a normal adjustment plus he uses myofascial release gel and kind of massages out all of my painful trigger points. This seems to help me the most of all of these things. Cannot believe insurance doesn't get that. They said in the denial letter and when he did the peer to peer review "you cannot be fixed" can you imagine? Thanks, like I wasn't upset enough about this.

I am sorry you are going through this, I am sorry for anyone really. It can be really hard but on the bad days I tell myself that a good day will come and it won't be as bad and that every day doesnt have to feel like this. 

• Posted

I keep trying to be positive but it gets difficult and I'm in the UK so I don't have insurance and I don't think I can get stuff like that on the NHS and because I am missing so much work I'm pretty much broke which then adds on to all the stress ??it all just feels like a vicious circle thankyou for the reply x

• Posted

I hear you. One thing that helps me on my real bad days is epsom salt. I load up the tub with hot water and just soak as long as I can. Your body absorbs it better in warm, not hot, water. It is pretty cheap at the pharmacy. I know it is so hard to live like this. I don't know why this happens to us and it feels really hard, especially because no one understands. I don't expect them to but it is like you have this swarm of terrible pain and feeling awful and it can be overwhelming. You aren't alone though. 

• Posted

I've not tried that I will get some when I get paid see if that helps I hate the fact no one understands but this really helps knowing there are people out there that do understand you have no idea how much this has helped me just to talk to someone else who knows what it's like x

• Posted

Epsom salt is helpful because a lot of chronic pain sufferers are low in magnesium. It doesn't really fix fibro but when I don't at least once a week take a bath my pain levels do get worse and worse. You find it in pharmacy, or any grocery store really in the medicine department, usually by like the bandaids, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide. Hopefully they call that the same sort of stuff there in the UK. It is about $2-3 US dollars for a bag or box of it. Another thing I forgot about was I have had my vitamin D levels checked and have always came back low, vitamin D3 is what we need and preferably take a formula with Vitamin D3+K2 which is something that makes it more easily absorbed for us. I know a lot of people use Vitamin D3 lamps for chronic pain, and these are expensive. I have been meaning to get one of those but haven't gotten around to it. Anyways, vitamin d3 in pill or liquid form isnt too expensive and can really help with mood especially. Look it up when you have some energy. It is sold by the vitamins and a store brand should be just fine. Most people do not get a daily dose of sunshine of 15-20 minutes. It is really hard to get enough from sun or diet. I am a lot crankier and sad when I stop taking my vitamin d. It does help to talk to people that can understand the immense sorrow of dealing with this sort of thing. I am looking for a support group in my area to go to. No one who doesn't have it can get it, they always think we are making it up or we are exaggeerating. We aren't, I would do anything not to have this horrible disease. I have tried a million things and won't stop trying things until the day I die. I have to hold on that there is hope, otherwise I wouldn't keep on living. Please hang in there, I hope tomorrow you wake up and you have a much better day. 

• Posted

Okay thankyou I will look into these things when I can actually think straight and concentrate for longer than two minutes haha. I completely agree people take it for granted being pain free and just don't understand how someone can be in pain all the time and I do too tomorrow will be a better day for all of us hopefully xx

• Posted

Hi kerrie can totally relate to your situation I had a panic attack when going to have an MRI I didn't even manage to have the test freaked out after just being put in it and for the same reason to rule out arthritis. I was the same age as you when my problems began and had pain I ended up loosing my job because they were not understanding and to be honest at the time I was so upset in the long run it has worked out for the moment as I physically can't do anything. I have struggled for 3 years with this pain being pushed from pillar to post and different diagnoises. And still no where closer. I stay positive and I feel that's all you can do. If it is arthritis there is meds that can control it and if it's not then also there's meds and things that can help if fibro.  You need to concentrate on yourself and getting better. Health is the most important thing. Have you got good family support? If you loose your job over your illness there is things you can do to take them to court if you have a string enough case. Wishing you better X 

• Posted

It's just more stress on top of stress it feels like so then more pain. I'm really lucky my family and boyfriend are really understanding and helpful they understand how much pain I'm in I think because they see me at my absolute worst which is horrible. My mum has said the same that I have to get better or at least get to a more stable point and until then not to worry about work which is a great comfort but my anxiety is still bad because of work. They just really don't get it I wish they could feel for an hour how I feel during a flare up like now thankyou for the reply it's nice to know there are people I can talk to x

• Posted

Hi Kerrie

Sorry to hear your suffering...  I'm balancing my days lately with a massive flareup!  Wipes me out, as it does all of us when in the Flare mode.

The best thing one can do is try and keep any stress from the door/head...  as it reacts badly on us.  Sets off a brain to muscle freeze up... it can come on slowly or suddenly, nasty.   

What I find really really helpful is the 'hot tub, or bath' even using Radox, 'every night!!   before bed.  Good LONG soaks to get the muscles freed up and warmed through, this aids to a better sleep or simply aids the bodys muscles for a few hours.  Helps keep the worst of the muscle tension from building up.  OR if you can, attend some where, where they have a hot pool that you can do some gentle stretching exercises (without overdoing it)...  Vit D is important and so to is the Magnesium.  Some folk use Melatonin to aid sleep, apparently it's good, as we don't produce enough Seratonin in the brain to aid our sleep hygiene it becomes a real nightmare for us.  

I use basic meds for pain, but from experience 'nothing in the way of meds will kil pain in a flareup', it may touch on the tip of it, but thats about it.  

Valium is a muscle relaxant but I doubt doctors will give folk to much of it due to addiction issues like most meds.  

I hope your able to keep your job!!   I have been retired by 3 doctors who signed me off.  I do oil painting when I can, and try to simply maintain 'living'... It's always a balancing act and always the down times to deal with at some points.

Take care and do let us know how you get on...

• Posted

Hi I'm still in this flare up how long do they last? I've had to have today off sick as well so hopefully by next week I will be better enough to work. I think I'm going to have to get some vit d and magnesium to see if that helps I just feel so bad I know they are short staffed but I'm a nursery nurse so I work with toddlers so I just can't put them at risk with me being there I have fallen before because of the pain in my hips. I don't know what I will do about this job I do understand where they are coming from but I don't think they understand where I'm coming from at all. I try to keep the stress to a minimum but that's difficult when I'm scared of losing my job.

Thankyou for the reply. Hope you are having a good day. X

• Posted

Hi kerrie72326 sorry to hear your having a bad flare up, flare ups are differnt to how long they last with each of us. as fibro afeects us all differently. 1 person could have a flare up that lasted a week another person could have it last for a month. stress worry make things worse it causes us more pain. are you in a union at work where you can seek help advice. also your local cab can give you advice also where work is concerned. also you could look into seeing about pip you can get this even if your working your local cab can advise you. having a long hot soak in the bath may help you also heat lamps water bottles. I would seek advice where works concerned couldnt your dr give you a sick note and a letter explaining how fibro affects you. The disability act states  that all employers should help to meet their employers needs so they can continue to do their job.take care
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I just want to feel better but I guess that's how we all feel. I'm not in a union or anything and I'm just waiting for the doctor to write me a letter to give to work to explain a bit more about it I've just had a hot bath which seems to have relaxed me a bit but the stress of everything is making stuff a lot worse. And I have applied for pip hopefully they can help me out a bit so I can reduce my hours at work hopefully my employer will be alright with this. Hope you have a good day x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.