feel the symptoms although normal test results.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys,

I am a 23 yr old female and feel I have been experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism. 

Fatigue - This has always been a huge problem for me for as long as i can remember. Some days I feel good and can get through my day just fine but  most days I can't and will need a nap to get me through. It's a huge accomplishment for me just to clean the house.

Weakness- I have some weakness in my arms and legs.

Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight- I come from a big family so weight gain will always be a problem but i do find it difficult to lose weight. I have recently cut out all soft drink and alcohol which I would comsume frequently and started eating healthy with the help of diet shakes  with some exercise and still manage to put on weight. I am slowing but consistenly putting on weight despite my efforts but this could also be genetics.

Coarse, dry hair- Have always had dry, frizzy but healthy hair. The hair around my hairline is always breaking. 

Dry, rough pale skin- Pale as sunscreen with yellow tones and can suffer from dry skin espeically my cuticles. My heels are extremely dry and cracked.

Hair loss- do suffer from this also.

Cold intolerance (you can't tolerate cold temperatures like those around you)- always wearing a jumper or light cardi but can also quickly overheat. Never seem to be in a happy medium.

Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches- Body is ALWAYS aching, feel like an 80 yr old woman. Do get calf cramps every now and then

Constipation- On and off

Depression- What I orignially thought I suffer from.

Irritability- Can be super irritable at time and very moody also.

Memory loss- More forgetfulness.

Abnormal menstrual cycles- Have been on the pill since I was 15 (7 years) due to irregular periods but also dibilitating cramps. My period also varies from length and heavyness.

Decreased libido- This is the very sad part. Have been in a relationship for 6 years now. I use to love! doing the deed but now it feels like such a chore. I think about it but when push comes to shove i don't want to.

I also get heart palpitations and suffer from slight anxiety. I frequently get headaches or feel nauseous. I'm not pregnant. I had very low iron levels (almost anemic) about 7 years ago so I continually have my iron tested but always normal results.

I have been to the local GP a while ago and asked him if i could be tested to which he replied 'You don't have that' with a screwed up face. Tested me anyway and came back normal. Not sure of the results though and left it at that. 

I contantlly wonder if this is just my general nature and how I am and there is nothing wrong with me. Do those diganosed with Hypothyriodism, do you have good days and bad days or do you suffer all your symptoms everyday? because some days i do feel ohkay but most of the time i'm not.

Just wondering if you can give me your opinions. 

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Nope. You are not crazy but you sure do sound hypothyroid. For the next five days keep a Mercury thermometer by your bedside. As soon as you awake in the morning slowly roll and get this thermometer and put it under your armpit for 5 minutes. Write the temp down and continue each morning   After 5 days of this add up all temps and divide by 5 to get your average basal temperature.  If it's lower than 97.5 I would suggest that you start writing down all symptoms and keep researching hypothyroidism.  This will help you as you keep searching for a doctor who will help. There are many thyroid groups on FB.  Good luck. 

• Posted

I am feeling totally the same and doctor seems too think it is not my thyroid first blood tests was apparently 'borderline' but the last one was apparently 'Normal' I hate living like this and no getting no answers so I know how you are feelig x

• Posted

Hi,

See an endocrinologist and request a thyroid function blood test.

Even if you are, nothing could be done to treat you until you have this test

Do not give up

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hello, Ataloss. Your story shows chronic thyroid disease. Yes, good days and bad days.  Unfortunately, initial thyroid screening is usually a TSH test, which only spikes for some thyroid disease. People go years or decades without a proper diagnosis.

However, a diagnosis is only useful if you feel you need medication.

i encourage you to read through the many thyroid posts here to get an understanding of what you're dealing with and what others have found to be helpful.

From my decades of experience without and after trying virtually every meds option available to me, I would offer the following thoughts:

1. People have had success controlling thyroid disease with a high protein, glutenfree, paleo style diet. No processed foods.

2. If the high protein duet isn't enough, you can try amino acid supplements. Also, there are many mineral supplements that are beneficial for the thyroid, as well as kelp supplements for natural iodine.

3. I recommend the previous two steps because the meds have very high side effects, often don't control the symptoms of hypothyroidism, and are extremely difficult to regulate. So the meds are really a last resort.

As you read more posts, you'll have more questions. Thyroid disease requires a lot of research, trial and error to find what works for you, and discipline even when you're feeling your worse.

• Posted

Hi

I have but one thought to add to Catherine's post...for those of us who no longer have a thyroid, medication is an absolute necessity...without thyroid replacement medication, my body can not live.

That said, my endocrinologist directs me to eat a very high protein very low carb diet.

kind regards

• Posted

Agreed. I care for my mother, who's had thyroid surgery. She needs thyroxin replacement. However, she does seem to have difficulty adjusting to the high protein diet and benefits from amino acids.

• Posted

So gluten free is not the same as low carb. You need to eat carbs or your love will burn your muscle for energy. Hypo people have livers that can no longer store glycogen as in glucose. When the liver can't find it from eating things like potatoes and root vegetables, and yes the dreaded bit of sugar it has no choice but to burn muscle. This creates stress on your body and further hampers the use of T3 in your body. We also have a hard time with protein especially muscle meat. You can add protein that is rapidly digested and already has amino acids you need by

Adding collagen hydrolsate that comes in the form of a powder. Just add a T to coffee or orange juice.

• Posted

Terry that's super interesting and helpful. It also explains why, even with the low carb diet, I have to self medicate with a little sugar.

• Posted

Meant to say your liver will burn your muscle. Stupid autocorrect. 😬

• Posted

Hi IHNK. Thanks! Also see Barbara's posts, barbara94980, about dosing. She's very helpful.

It takes a full three months for the body to adjust to thyroid medication: you've got your thyroid, your pituitary, and the rest of the endocrine system working together to maintain homeostasis. In the meantime, after as little as three weeks, you can use blood tests as a guide. Just realize that results are often spiked earlier, as the previous levels of various thyroxines, TSH, rT3, antibodies and other factors level out over time. A really good Endo has an understanding of the initial spike and fall in levels following med changes, but I've only ever met one doc who was really good at this.

Most doc's like to start meds gradually and work up to the right dose over time, but if you have severe thyroid disease, this can take years in which you then have suboptimal health, so if your disease is severe, you might want to increase in larger increments. When you feel you have the dose right, you check both your symptoms and full bloodwork. Then test by dropping the dose back slightly and checking for symptoms. You'll generally overshoot your dose and be able to drop back a tad once the body levels out. There are formulas for dosing by weight as well as by considering rT3. But these are guidelines. 

I tried to get my dosing right for about 5 years, and it always seemed like just as I started to feel better, then I didn't. There are several factors that can heavily influence how the dose works including your immune system, and dietary factors such as caffeine, artificial sweeteners and protein intake. The "caffeine/sugar/chocolate Merry-go-round" can also influence dose needs as can general health, as the immune system seems to be far more involved than we like to think. My immune system seemed to react badly to the meds, complicating things horribly. 

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Have your endocrinologist check for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  I had the same problem as you.  My tests all came back as normal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.