Feel tired and weak after standing up for a few minutes or doing basic things..

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but I feel weak in general recently (the last few months). Walking is painful and exhausting as is things like bending down or lifting things. I went to the doctors about it and he mentioned Fibromyalgia and also sent off blood tests to check for any inflammatory issues as well as deficiencies (Iron/Vitamin D etc). 

Going from sitting to standing is a chore, and standing up for a few minutes (like when stood at the cooker or in the shower) is exhausting. I feel weak and like my legs are slowly getting more and more tired even after just being stood there for a few minutes. I have a slight ache in my lower back and I feel the need to steady myself by holding on to the counter or something. I don't think I would fall over necessarily, but the weak/exhausted feeling makes me fear falling over or fainting. I also feel somewhat out of breath, but I don't breathe heavily and all that - I just feel like my breathing isn't strong and I need to sit down and regain my composure, I guess. 

It also doesn't feel like something sleeping would help; after I used to do exercise at school, I'd be out of breath and tired but after sitting for a few moments and catching my breath I was fine. Its that kind of exhaustion; not the brain-tired/sleepy type of exhaustion.. I don't know how to explain it better. 

This is on top of the pain and such I feel on a daily basis. 

I don't know if its worth noting, but I seem to have bad circulation in my lower legs (my feet are perpetually cold and almost purple 90% of the time and my family tells me its bad circulation, but I have no idea). I shake constantly and I'm feel frail and fragile in general. 

- I'm 20 (female) and I don't do much exercise. I walk my dog when I can, but that's maybe once a week at best (she gets walked by my mother other days). My eating isn't the best but I eat enough and it's balanced, just very irregular. Same with my sleep (I get enough sleep, but its irregular due to no school at the moment). 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

20 years old and how you're feeling isn't the "norm". What kind of tests besides Fibro blood work has your Dr. done? The best thing to give you pain relief and energy is walking or doing any kind of exercise everyday. I know it feels impossible, but you will feel better once you're outside. 

Do you know if you snore or stop breathing through the night while sleeping? Sleep Apnea started my pain journey. After 6 months of getting great sleep I was so sluggish which eventually was diagnosed with Fibro and Osteoarthritis in 2008. I now live with CRPS and a sitting disability. I literally can not sit down at all! 

Taking out gluten, dairy, sugar, and eating salads with organic lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, spinach, green apples, and anything else you love everyday and drinking homemade ginger water will help reduce inflammation. Drinking 1/2 a fresh squeezed lemon juice in warm water each morning helps detox your body. Don't store anything in plastic, drink soda, juice that's concentrated, and drink tons of room temp to cool water throughout everyday. There are many ways you can help yourself naturally. Let us know how you're doing and what the test results say.

Are you also being tested for diabetes?

• Edited

Hi Laney, 

The blood work I had done was a long list and I don't remember everything he checked off, but there was the generic blood test stuff plus checking for deficiencies and then arthritis type stuff. He also mentioned checking my liver. Aside from that, I honestly don't know much about it. I'm going back to the doctor in a few weeks to see what he has to say about them. 

I don't know if it is of any relevance, but due to a few.. occurrences.. I had blood tests to check my liver function whilst I was in hospital, and those came back as being pretty bad. I was in hospital about two months ago and whilst in A&E they wanted to do a scan on my liver, but then later when on the ward they didn't. And now I get pain and such in my left side - though I'm not sure if it's my liver or not. 

I don't stop breathing or snore though the night - that I know of. I will try walking more and see how that helps, and I'm pretty good with eating healthy, but I'll try the things you suggested. 

And no, I'm not being tested for diabetes

• Posted

I'm happy you have a Dr. who is listening to you! That's very important. Fibro and all autoimmune issues take time to finally get a diagnoses. Listen to your body, if it's telling you to rest, then do so. Hang in there. I do pray for everyone who's in pain, so I've been praying for you and didn't even know it biggrin

God bless you with healing, His comfort, and peace!

• Edited

Omg ! shut up, I can't stand people who leave simple-minded comments like yourself "eat salads with organic lettuce" shut up. If s&#t was that simple she/he and everybody else would be eating salads. When people come on here they already TRIED ALL the basic s&#t, so when they come on here they are looking for something outside of the box. Something they have never heard or tried before. People are suffering and you're talking about organic lettuce, please just shut all the way up and take 20 seats.

• Edited

Geez. Don't assume people have already tried "all the basic s&#t", frankly not enough doctors take the time to discuss proper nutrition and this is a great platform to get ideas on how to create a healthy foundation for yourself. You're rarely going to find a breakthrough solution on the internet. Getting tips for healthy living is all anyone should reasonably expect out of an online platform, more specific diagnoses should be left up to doctors. Please stop gatekeeping salad

• Edited

if the blood test do not show anything and or your symptoms get worse a test you might want to consider is called an EMG/nerve conduction test to check for myopathy's and muscle conditions.

• Edited

Symptoms a lot like mine and there is at least a 40 year difference in ages. Mine was caused from a hernia and over weight. Had the hernia removed can breath better and finally walking some better. Standing is hard especially in shower. After surgery I lost 30 pounds and working on loosing more. Eating sounds like I did, maybe go a day or so without food. Now I do my best to get in at least 1000 calories or more a day, also drink protein shakes. I think you should check with your doctor to be safe. Best to you
  • Edited

I almost have identical symptoms. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I hope not but it sounds like you might have it as well.  There are specific blood tests (not generic). 

You might have POTS. That can cause the symptoms you're having. I'm surprised your doctor hasn't tested you for it.  If it is POTS, there are treatments available!  

• Edited

I know this is pretty old, but, just in case you didn't find a solution yet, I'll post it. I don't know about the pain, but maybe you have exercise/exertion-induced asthma. I went years without being treated because my only symptom was "low stamina." I even got a lung function study to test for asthma, and it was normal - because I was sitting down. The main symptom I had was getting tired and faint when standing or even when walking for just a few minutes. I would get faint before I got out of breath, and I never had wheezing, coughing or any of the typical asthma symptoms. People told me to just exercise and I would feel better, but I always felt much worse afterwards. Finally my doctor put me on a bronchodilator (inhalor taken morning and evening), just to try it, and after only a few days I had more energy. Just a thought.

• Posted

You need some Asafoetida just add some to a packet of crisps is what I do it hasn't got such a bad taste with them. I'm a herbalish so its worth the risk they sell it in morrisons £1.65 have ago.

• Edited

Hello I was reading your post and I'm having these same problems with my legs. I was just wandering if you ever found out what was going on? I hope your doing better now.

• Edited

Hey, I hope you're doing better. I relate to this post a lot. I grew up vegetarian and basically all throughout high school and college I couldn't stand for longer than 5 minutes without feeling like I was going to feint. I wasn't eating much and hardly exercised. I also have poor circulation in my legs which doesn't help. Things that have made the biggest difference for me have been proper nutrition and daily exercise, even if it's just a walk around the block. When I started working out on a regular basis I felt like a completely different person. When I was in food service I would stand for hours at a time and it used to be unbearable, but with exercise I finally felt comfortable. Of course this is just my personal recommendation, but eating healthy, home-cooked food consistently and getting decent exercise can't hurt. I'd talk to a nutritionist to hear what they might have to say, my nutritionist suggested I take B-12 vitamins (since I don't eat meat) and my energy levels are much higher than they were before. It's crazy how nutritional deficiencies can affect your quality of life. As for poor leg circulation, I've found that good exercise helps the most. When I use my sit-stand desk I wear compression tights to make my legs feel more comfortable, which has also helped a ton. They're a bit of a financial investment, but they've worked for me. Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Hi Hxlcyon

How did you end up going - did you find out what was causing your fatigue? Was it B12 (pernicious anemia)?

Louise 😊 xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.