Feeling absolutely shattered after a grand mal - it's been 4 days now!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - I suffer with epilepsy and my official diagnosis is absence seizures, however I had two grand mals last week, and one 18 months back. This has occurred since I changed from topiramate to lamotrogine. I had no issues on the topiramate.

My first question is whether I should be asking to change to a new drug. It's not advisable for me to go back to the topiramate due to my age i.e. if I want to have children but also because I have history of an eating disorder so it's not the best med to put me on!

What other drugs are out there for this type of epilepsy, that don't have an impact on appetite and weight?

My second question is that I think I hit my head when fitting, because my forehead feels like it's taken a beating. I've been feeling unusually tired and sleeping loads. Has anyone any similar experience?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I’m on Epilim but has appetite a weight issues, I’m having some really bad side effects from it too! 

Tremors, balance, headaches, weakness!

Trying to see Consultant is a joke, had EEG on 18.12.17 still waiting for him to send me results 

I suffer from Tonic clinic seizures, sorry I can’t help you!!!!

• Posted

I was on Phenobarbitone and they work well for me but with Epanutin they were horrid !! Made my gums shrink and was told not to get pregnant while on Epanutin !! I had 1 Daughter many moons ago and she is fine, touch wood.  I am an old dear now but had them since 14 grrr.  If you are worried ask Doc for X ray as stress is a baddy for us.  Ask Doc if you can go back on other AED xx Good luck

Win xx  I am on carbazam  ?? as Keppra stopped working for me  !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.