Feeling Anxious.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm feeling really anxious at the moment as I suffer from PTSD. Because of my PTSD, I usually try to avoid contact with people. However on the 04/08/2016, I managed to break and dislocate my ankle which needed surgery on to pin it etc. Anyway I have an appointment at the fracture clinic tomorrow and I am really not looking forward to being in a waiting room with lots of other people. Anyone got any suggestions or tips as to how I can try to remain calm?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Oh, poor you! How awful. That must have been painful, Luke.

When I have any appointment anywhere and am forced to sit and wait with other people, I take an elastic band ( I know this sounds ludicrous"wink and fiddle with it, rolling it over my fingers. It's a distraction. And whilst I sit I practise my breathing excercise. Inhaling through the nose, making sure my tummy balloons and not that my lungs expand, then let my breath out slowly and for as long as I can, trying to exhale as much air as I can. That which you expel from the lungs is more important than how much you inhale. You have to empty the lungs.

You can also play games in your mind. Starting with the alphabet. How many cars can you name going through the alphabet, for instance. How many films can you name. How many whatever, trees, flowers, book titles. Anything to divert the mind from how you feel.

And remember. All things pass. When you arrive at the clinic tell yourself firmly, I can do this. I'll soon be home. In another hour or so I'll be on my way home.

Good luck and let us know how it went smile

• Posted

Hi Helen. Thankyou so much for your advice and support. I do try to do breathing excercises to keep me as calm as possible when I have to go out etc. The main thing for me is that I have no control of how long I am going to have to wait tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on. Thankyou once again.

• Posted

I know that if there was a time limit it makes it easier. The thing I do when at my appointment, especially the eye clinic which can be hours! is I take it in 15 minute lumps, lol. I tell myself, I can get through 15 minutes. Nothing is going to happen to me and if it does, what's the worst thing? That I faint? Well if I do I'm in the right place,.Then when that 15 minutes is up I congratulate myself mentally and tackle the next 15 minutes. I imagine myself on my way home. I imagine myself back at home, having a meal, whatever smile

You'll be okay honey. Lots and lots of people have AD /PTSD,and sit in waiting rooms, tense and wanting only to escape. Nobody faints, nobody loses control, nobody does a runner. We face what we have to face smile

I will be thinking of you and willing you on xx

• Posted

Thankyou so much Helen. I know I need to go for my appointment as I need my ankle to mend and heal properly.

• Posted

Luke, you know that any form of Anxiety has to be dealt with here and now. By that I mean today is now. Try not to focus too much upon tomorrow, dear. It will only serve to stress you out further. Try to take today as calmly as you can. We deal with things as and when. Tomorrow you will deal and cope with the clinic. You cannot avoid it, nor should you avoid any situation that unsettles you, but when it comes you will face it, Luke, and you will cope!!! We human beings are funny creatures. We do what we have to do. We might not like it but we do it all the same.

I don't think it will be as bad as you fear. Imagination is a menace to anxiety sufferers. It blows everything out of proportion.

You'll be okay. I'll be willing you on, there in spirit with you, holding your hand....smile

• Posted

I know that I will face my fear tomorrow. Like to say I am thinkingtoo much about it today. Thanks for the encouragement Helen.

• Posted

You'll be okay Luke. People with AD/PTSD are the bravest people in the world. They just don't know it. They get up each day and carry on, no matter what. They are knocked down from all sides by the most horrendous physical and emotional symptoms yet they get right back up again. They deal with things that non-sufferers cannot even begin to imagine. There is always, always that font of courage in them, that rises to meet the occasion when it is needed.

Be proud, honey. If the world crumbled, those with AD/PTSD would be the last men standing.We know, above anyone else, how to face, to stand firm, to not be battered into submission. We keep going, no matter whatsmile

So tomorrow you will not be sat there alone, this ole gal will be sitting right there alongside of you, keeping you company!

xxx

• Posted

You're a star. I will let you know how I get on. I'm getting my stitches out and getting a proper cast tomorrow.

• Posted

Oh yes, please, let me know how it went!!! I'll be on tenterhooks until you do, lol. Mind you, I have faith in you. You'll be okay, Luke, how can you not be with me sitting right there alongside of you? LOL

Hugs Helen

• Posted

Bless you. This whole situation has been an experience for sure.

• Posted

You can sit there thinking, I wish this ole trout sitting on my lap would get the hell off eek, my leg is killing me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.