Feeling Anxious, 43 on the waiting list for THR

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, I'm after some guidance and opinions for those of you pre and post op. I'm 43 and awaiting my date for op. I have been trying to delay having a THR as long as I can, I really wanted to be sure there were no other other options.

The thing I'm battling with inside is when is enough pain and stiffness enough. Saw my surgeon yesterday and he, like all the other consultants and Dr's I've seen, didn't want to offer an opinion about whether he agrees now is the right time. Everyone keeps saying I'm younger than most who need THR but it almost feels like they're subtley saying ' why are you in here? '.

The pain from my hip depends on how I'm standing or sitting, so there are certain positions where I feel very little or no pain. but I've realised over the years I'm not putting my body in those really painful positions very much. So, in my head I keep thinking I can somehow persevere and maybe I should be manning-up to leave a THR as long as I can.

Anyone else gone through this, particularly the absence of anyone professional actually giving their candid, honest opinion?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Obi,

I waited 8 years before I had op in April 2018, I continued exercising all through the 8 years, exercise helps ease pain. I always said the pain was not too bad, I would sit and rest until I could walk again. The longer you leave having your hip op and start putting more pressure on the other hip, waddling, you may also cause damage to your back.

The op is pretty quick really, no pain, the recovery is the most inconvenient part. I had three months of precautions, sleeping on your back (nightmare) but, what is three months, nothing really. Do not wait too long recovery will be quicker with less damage.

• Posted

Hello. I was in severe pain. almost immobile. Diagnosed with hip OA. Set up with appt. for cortisone shot. Did not get the shot. Talked to doctor. He said my body would let me know when surgery was needed. Bought a huge bottle of each ibuprofen and tylenol. Picked up another prescription anti inflammatory. Two days later self referred to physical therapy. Never opened the prescription. Big bottles of pain relievers all but full. Physical therapy was a miracle for me. Do I get stiff? Yes. I also have back problems. Am I sorry that I did not go down the path that I was directed. Absolutely not. The decision is all yours. The xrays do not dictate your pain. Be well

• Posted

Hi

Can I ask what kind of physical therapy you did?

Thanks

• Posted

Good morning. Yes. Certainly. My first session with the physical therapist was an evaluation. She was pleased with my mobility and actually is the person who told me that the xrays don't tell the whole story. They came up with a plan

I went 4 sessions. Stretches, strengthening, and endurance. They gave me paperwork with exercises to do at home. Told me to come back if needed. Discharged me. I am fine. Maybe just the luck of the draw. I have had several interactions with physical therapists. All came with great results. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.