Feeling anxious after coffee

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for about 2 years now. I am generally healthy and 28 years old. For a few weeks I am trying everything I can possibly try to improve my quality of life before I talk to my doctor to ask for anti-anxiety medication. I want to make sure there is nothing I can do to better my anxiety without medication. So I quit smoking a month ago, stopped drinking coffee about a week ago, getting enough sleep, trying to meditate everyday. 

Anyways today at lunch I had half a cup of coffee and now an hour or so later, I feel like I'm deteriorating. The most frightening thing is a pressure in my face and head and my vision seems blurry (even though it isn't) or like the whole world is moving even though I'm sitting down. 

Has anyone had this after caffeine. I know it's most likely the coffee and I shouldn't have had it in the first place, but some reassurance would make a lot of difference right now. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

some people are sensitive to coffee and has trigger a panic attack for me before cuz i had 3 cups in 1 day i went really shaky and felt really weird i think the best thing you can do is go to your doctor and ask for help and they will say to you do you want to try medication or therapy i went on citalopram and it has made my panic attack vanish completely sometimes we need medication because of the chemical imbalace in the brain 
    • Posted

Thanks. It is so strange because it was literally half a cup of coffee but now I know I just can't get tricked into the thinking that just a little bit will be fine.

I agree that medication is often necessary. I personally have always been very hesitant to take anything. I had xanax for crisis moments but rarely took it, but I am planning to go to the doctor next month if I can't see improvement because I just don't want to keep struggling while nothing changes or improves.

• Posted

yeah you might find that your more sensative to caffine at the moment cause your anxiety is high say something to your doctor about that to i hope your appointment goes well and you will soon get your life back on track and dont be hesitant in taking medication because just think there has been years and years of research go into these perscription drugs before they are even avalaible for people and im sure your doctor will do whats best for you
  • Posted

Yes caffeine is a big anxiety trigger. Try decaf or some flavoured tea as that is also good for relaxation. Also have u tried rescue remedy?? It's very good for anxiety. It has really helped me get through some tough times. I'm on sertraline 50mg and still use rescue remedy on my anxious days u can get it from any supermarket or chemist and it's all natural and even kids and pets can use it. I give it to my dogs on firework night and New Years to calm them from the bangs of the fireworks. X
    • Posted

Thanks Vikki. I will look into rescue remedy. I've never heard of it before.  I have been drinking Green Tea lately to avoid coffee during the day, and I'll just have to drink decaf when I just miss the coffee flavor. 
    • Posted

I've tried all the teas but I think they taste horrible lol, I now drink decaf tea as I missed it so much lol. Yes def try the rescue remedy as it really does help. They also do a night time one if your anxious at night and can't sleep from being anxious. It's about £4-£8 depending on what size u get x
    • Posted

Hi Beth. Just to let you know that Green Tea also has caffeine in, just not as much as coffee. It's the caffeine that speeds up the heart. 
    • Posted

Thanks. I knew it had some caffeine in it. But it definitely doesn't give the.same anxiety as coffee does
  • Posted

Hey imagine how desperate i am in fighting this thing, when i managed to read thousands of articles before get to this one :D Well, my friend, i have ALMOST SAME symptoms as you described. But i love coffee so much... sad I feel like im dizzy but im not, heart rate is elevated, start to feel uncomfortable in my own skin... feeling fear, sometimes my senses are very high it can take just snap of fingers and my whole body response with twitch and so on... Only cure (natural) that i found so far is alcohol. Yea, i know, but it helps me a lot. My agony started 2012, and coffee sensitivity developed last year. There were a lot of scary symptoms in the meanwhile but when my life settled a little bit, everything seems to getting back to normal but it needs a lot of time... This post is 3 years old, how are you today? Cheers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.