Feeling anxious even though I'm taking my medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

About four weeks ago, my GP prescribed 5mg Bisoprolol daily for palpitations and anxiety, alongside other medications that I've been taking for a while: 200mg of Sertraline, 2mg Diazepam and 1.5mg Risperidone.

I felt that the beta-blocker was helping at first and wasn't taking it daily. About a week ago I suffered from a sudden anxiety attack which I felt was made worse because of the medication, and have been taking it daily since then. I've noticed that I'm starting to get an increased heart rate again which tends to make me feel panicky and anxious.

I think that I should continue to take the medication as prescribed but I'm not sure if feeling anxious and low is a potential side effect of the Bisoprolol.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have had terrible Anxiety whiles being on Bisoprolol for 12months. I though it was due to me being worried after having a heart attack and at the begining yes. 

Anxiety is also listed as a side effect. I think it may not cause it but I think it makes any exisiting anxiety worse.. of that makes sense 

• Posted

I have to say that I am a little surprised that you have been put on Bisoprolol for anxiety, I always thought propranolol was the beta blocker of choice for people with anxiety, as Mardi has said anxiety can be a side  effect of bisoprolol, if it was me I would go back to your GP and tell him/her what is happening, you have also been prescribed quite a high dose as a first dose, in my opinion, I am on 2.5mg as a starter dose.
  • Posted

There is something really horrible about this medication. It’s vile and I can’t wait to get off it eventually fingers crossed as the recovery goes well .

• Posted

I completely agree with you, I have been on it for 4 years now and it still makes me feel 'yucky' and zombie likeat times, however in my case it has controlled my AF and also keeps my blood pressure at good levels, so it is the lesser of the 2 evils.

• Posted

Agree to that also, my cardiologist says it is working for my heart function and reluctant  to change its yuu it
  • Posted

Hi Aaron

firstly I would suggest you don't stop taking medication without medical consent. That said, I wonder if your anxiety has increased due to an increased awareness, I am on 2.5mg of bisoprolol and I have to say, I suffer no side effects. I take it for frequent ectopic beats ......my problem is that the ectopics have returned so "it ain't working now". Have you discussed these side effects with your GP ? I see you are taking Sertreline (as am I) and diaz

• Posted

Hello There Aaron

please don't stop any medication without first consulting your GP.

That said, I was on 1.25mg of bisoprolol for frequent ectopics which caused palpitations. This worked for a while then stopped. The cardiologist increased it to 2 x 1.25mg. Great....no probs for 4 months. Now the blighters are back so perhaps it has stopped working. I wonder if your anxiety attack was due to the missed doses. I notice you are on Sertreline and Diazepam , perhaps the anxiety is not related to the Bisoprolol. I know the family of drugs which Sertreline belongs to can cause irregular heart rythmes ......could that be an issue ? I am also on Sertreline but a low dosage which I am reluctant to stop as when I do "the black dog of depression" comes back. It's sadly a question of what is most important to you and I hope you find a solution. Please let us know on the post how you get on. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.