feeling aweful after antibiotics

Posted , 5 users are following.

First week of July I was on a high dose of antibiotics.  More than I should have been given. Azithromycin 500mg for 7 days. I quit a day early for it made me sick.  I have a feeling of fullness all the time,  burp up food,  endless burping.  Feeling need to burp even on an empty stomach.  Acid reducers make me sick, simathacone and antacids not much relief.  Stomach is not sour just the fullness feeling and acid  reflux, burping. I am at my whits end!  I took probiotics and see some improvement  but bad days flare up. 

I am assuming that the antibiotics just totally killed my gut and probiotics should work?.  Should i take more probiotics   then directed?  Is there a particular brand that is fast acting?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you tried trapped wind tablets? The chalky ones you chew are the best. They help empty you stomach a bit.
  • Posted

HI,  take it easy on the probiotics.. too much of it makes everything worse - you get even more bloated when your body is not used to it. You should start with a low dose and then add up after a week... And since the antibiotics destroyed your entire bacteria it won't be easy for you to handle food also.. so eat light, drink kefir, eat yogurt, vegetables and lean meats... You will see that will work perfectly..

Don't take any stomach acid reducers... you will ruin your whole PH level.. trust your body.. it will adjust by itself. Just give it time to heal. 

• Posted

I take 1 probiotic pill a day. I tried yogert today for the first time and it was disgusting.  
    • Posted

Hi, you have never tried yogurt before??? The plain one is so healthy!! Also Kefir.. I love it and it helps my stomach gery much.

• Posted

I hate yogurt it makes me vomit, I tried chocolate whips and it was tolerable. what does kefir taste like?
    • Posted

It‘s like yogurt but more sour. I usually put some cinnamon in it and love it.

They also have it different flavors but I try to avoid everything with added sugar since your bad bacteria feeds from sugar..

I have heard before that you should eat prebiotics to make sure your probiotics stay longer in your system. Probiotics feed from prebiotics.. 

• Posted

Funny, the same thing happened to me last week. I took a z pack for a sinus infection which destroyed all of the flora in my stomach. I also took probiotics trying to build it back up. The probiotics made it worse. What did help me though was enzymes and ACV (apple cider vinegar) 2 tablespoons in a glass of warm water (sipped). For me, sometimes it is not having enough acid in my stomach to digest foods. Sometimes when we think that we have too much acid, it's really not having enough. The reaction from having to much to not enough feels the same. ACV restores the acid in a natural way. The way that you can tell is after drinking a glass of ACV, you feel worse than you did before you drank it, then it's not low acid making you feel bad. It's worth a try. 

• Posted

How did you consume enzymes?   I was on azithromycin (same as z pack) for sinus infection, ear infection, but was given too high of a dose
    • Posted

I got an enzyme supplement. I also got benefiber for they claim they are a prebiotic. I’m almost out of probiotics so I found probiotic gummies with prebiotic fiber. I think the enzymes work. I tested it by eating a large cookie. The burping was a lot less that what I been experencing

• Posted

Hi,

I am glad that I was able to help. Yes enzymes are wonderful. They are natural and help you to digest your food. Sometimes that is all that is needed. Try to stay off the prescription stuff. Also probiotics are wonderful, but, there are so many out there, you have to be careful not to get junk. stay well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.