Feeling awful but ferritin 20

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been feeling awful for about a month and a half now- extreme fatigue, sleepiness, wobbly arms and legs, dizzy moments, shakiness, headaches etc.

Heamoglobin came back normal (don't know the figure just that doc wasn't worried by it), Ferritin 20 despite being on ferrous fumarate for nearly a year. Referred for IV infusion to get levels up, but my doctor says she's not sure my symptoms would be caused by a ferritin level that isn't critically low.

Basically, I'm just a little confused and anxious- I thought the fact that I had been referred for an infusion meant that my symptoms were due to the ferritin, but having spoken to her today it seems she doesn't think this is the case.

Going back in tomorrow, but seeing a different doctor as normal one isn't in. I'm hoping they may have some new ideas as to what's the matter as my doctor clearly doesn't. 

Has anyone else experienced symptoms with a ferritin level of 20? Or should I feel ok with this technically 'normal' level?

Any help or advice very much appreciated!!! 

Ps also had kidney function, full blood count, glandular fever tests and no mention of anything unusual so I assume they are all fine 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

People function differently at low ferritin levels. If the range is 20-200+ then 20 is low but if your iron is low as well then you may well be experiencing all those symptoms. 

Don't worry have the infusions and if 6-8 weeks after the infusions you still feel bad follow up. But I expect you'll feel better long before then. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! Have been back to the doctors twice, and thinking is that it's the low ferritin along with a UTI (although I've had absolutely no symptoms to suggest that). Doc said to go back 2-3 days after my infusion of i don't feel better. From what I've read online that seems a little quick? But nevertheless I will still go back if she has advised me to 

• Posted

I am having somewhat the same issue. I've been feeling horrible for months. Hgb and everything else is normal . However i dont think my iron level or ferritin was tested. Doctors always so its nothing to worry about but i feel so awful. I keep going back with no outcome.

• Posted

Why not ask for a copy of your results and if they haven't tested your iron/Feritin levels ask them to do so. 

• Posted

I still felt pretty hideous with a ferritin at 44. Now it's over 80 and I'm much better. 

Wouldn't hurt to also have b12 and vitamin D levels tested too though. Also thyroid testing might be of use. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.