Feeling better; now worse again: common??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm on Day 26 of 10 mg (after being on 5 mg for 5 weeks, then 7.5 ish for a few weeks---I've been on escitalopram for a total of over 2 months now).

?I had been feeling better, for over a week. I was still experiencing some anxiety, but less than before, and in the form of worried thoughts. I really thought I had turned the corner.

?Yesterday, I had an increase in anxiety all day, but it was still fairly mild. It got worse as the day went on; I wasn't really hungry at dinner time, had to force myself to eat something. At bedtime, the anxiety got worse; I couldn't fall asleep, and eventually had to take a prescription sleep aid (which I hadn't needed to take for almost 2 weeks).

?Is it common to be doing better, and then worse again during the start up period? I'm now concerned that I'm going to have to be on a higher dose, or change to something else. I know I need to give this med a chance to work, but it's so tempting to visit my doctor today and see if I can increase now. It sounds so discouraging to have to wait another two months, and then end up having to increase the dosage anyway!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It's common while beginning the treatment to have at least one small setback... That's my experience, you'll have to be on 10 mg for 6-8 weeks so Escitalopram can be 100% effective, don't forget, it's our nature to feel sometimes anxious, depressed or sad along with happiness etc...etc... etc...3 days ago I had a terrible business news, my Anxiety came back but mild in nature and disappeared in the afternoon or early evening, I knew the medicine works and guess what? The fourth day I'm back to normal, lesson I learned is; don't blame every feeling, bad emotions on not doing well,always think positive! if you don't you'll forget all the good things in life that you do enjoy and cherish and I sure don't want to feel like I'm living in a small box.

• Posted

Hana, that is such a great point, and something I need to remember :-). Even when the medication is working 100%, I'm still going to have bad days, trouble sleeping at times, and anxious moments. Everyone does!! When I'd have a bad day or insomnia before my anxiety came back in early April, I'd just shrug my shoulders and get on with things. Now, with the anxiety, I hyper focus on everything, and get "worked up" about things that are natural to everyone.

?Still having anxiety today, but I'm keeping as busy as possible, which helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.