feeling cold

Posted , 7 users are following.

does anyone else with ckd finding it hard to keep warm

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Davey. I'm always frozen. Not sure if it's bp tablets (opening out blood vessels) or just me.

• Posted

Yes, it is quite common.  I have the central heating about 2 degrees higher in Winter.

Lyn

• Posted

Hi,

Yes its part of the illness sadly I always used to be freezing.  Used to get told off by him indoors if we went anywhere in the car for burning his feet and eye balls as the heater had to be on high and hot lol.

• Posted

Hi Davey

Dad has CKD and he is always extremely cold and keeps several fires on even in the summer. 

• Posted

When I got CKD stage 4, I got anemia while in the hospital. At first, I asked for one blanket, but eventually asked for 4 blankets and I was still cold. Nothing I could find clothing wise would keep me warm. Fleece sometimes helps. I freeze at the haemodialysis center since my kidneys finally failed. I was wearing jeans and fleece pj's and I was still cold at the center. Until a new company came to Denver, Colorado in the US. Their products are called innerwear with Heat-Tech. I bought long underwear and now my legs don't get cold. So I bought some other clothes with this fabric. It is lightweight and warm.

But I don't know if there is a cure for anemia. If there is, can anyone tell me.

I used to get very hot in the sun before stage 4 CKD, but now the sun warms my skin.

I hope there is a cure one day. Because freezing is not an option

• Posted

Hi John,

There is a very simple cure for animia, your body is low in iron stores it is common for people with CKD.  You need to first try iron tablets only take them for 3 months if  they don't work in this time they are not going to work.  Your next treatment if the tablets fail is an iron infusion along with EPO give it a couple of weeks and you will be skipping along lol.  You may then need to take EPO at regular intervals to keep your HB levels up. Easy as that and you will feel so much better and be less tired and cold.  These things are just given to us in the UK each time we have blood tests they are checked and if any treatment is needed I am called to the hospital or sent to the doctor to get whatever it is. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Although the NICE guidelines on anaemia and CKD say that patients should have their Hb kept to between 11.0 and 12.0, in practice many hospital renal units including my own, allow lower Hb levels and won't prescribe iron infusions until you fall below 10.0. I take daily  iron, Vitamin B12 injections every three months and daily folic acid all prescribed at my unit and my Hb levels are around 9.8-10.4 and have been for several years.  I am constantly cold but told that iron infusions are not an option until my HB falls lower.

• Posted

Hi Lyn,

It must differ depending on where you live.  I was not allowed to take iron tablets for more than 3 months, I was told this was not good for you and if  they hadn't worked within 3 months they weren't going to.  My unit doesn't let you go below 10 if you do you are booked in for an iron infusion, they also look at symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I think you must be right. My consultant always lookes at transferrin saturation levels (TSAT) which shows how much of the available iron you are actualy absorbing. This comes as a percentage figure.He also likes to keep ferritin levels over 500.

I do find that I am verytired thoughso will ask about it at my next meeeting.  I hope that all goes well with you.

• Posted

My dialysis center only precribed. only one vitamin called rena. vite. I get iron through the machine, but my albumin is normal and I still have anaemia. I heard that you should only take iron supplements if your haemodialysis center approves it. Otherwise, complications can occur. I also take fish. oil because I have had pancreatitis last month that landed me in the hospital and it was due to a fatty diet. The pain was horrible in my upper and lower stomach and my lower back.

So I don't take any.other vitamins. Although my (US) primary doctor suggested I take one, years ago. I don't believe most ads regarding the use of vitamins, so I don't take any of them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.