Feeling completely inadequate..

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with Menieres after starting with sudden vertigo attacks in July 16.  I had a month off work and then forced myself to go back because the pressure was well and truely on me to return.  After a couple of weeks i found my symptoms to worsen and i had no choice but to be signed off again.  6 months on I am still struggling, i have good days where i am able to do a bit more, but then i can wake up one morning and feel as bad as i did right at the beginning.  

what im wondering is, does anyone else suffer from feeling like they are completely unable to do anything because of menieres, and how do you change your mindset.

I have recently returned to work on reduced hours, to try and get myself some normality in my life, and to stop myself from lying around all day. But truth is, i dont want to do much more than lie around all day.  I find being at work totally draining, and come home in the afternoons in tears ready for a nap. I cant drive because i find my vertigo so unpredictable. Ive had to move back home with my parents because i need lifts to go to work and i genuinely dont feel i can live on my own right now.  Im so scared of an attack coming on, that i will exclude myself from situations. Not that i can go many places anyway as money is tight after not working very much. Plus the constant whoosing noises in my head are hard to ignore, especially when coupled with other sounds in "the outside world"

I seem to have fallen down quite a big hole, and i cant see a way out.

Ive cut myself away from my friends and family, because i find talking to them so draining, i get confused easily, i slur and to be honest i dont really have much more to talk about than how ill i feel.  Plus hearing about other peoples trips and outings doesnt exactly cheer me up. 

Does anyone else feel like this? What can i do to try and get out.  Ive been prescribed betahistine 16mg x 3 but i honestly dont feel they are having any effect on me. I stopped taking them for a week and i didnt notice any difference. 

i feel so worthless.

Man that felt good to write all that out.....

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done to replying to all.  this is a very positive step.  The vestibular rehab ~ I like to call this simply balance retraining/balance training~ has helped me to recover faster when I was having symptoms in the early stages.  It helped me have the confidence that I could move my head, bend down.  It has been such a confidence booster.  I still go for a swim, go on holiday, do yoga, run, taken up badminton recently.   But hey you have to jump your hurdle.  Menieres is certainly a challenge and moreover I always have an ear full of wax which doesnt help but thanks to olive oil I manage 
  • Posted

I feel the same I really do.

I could have written that also.

Sad, I was wondering if I was the only one that slurred at times when I speak, and the mental confusion is awful and my vision gets so bad at times is that part of it ??

The tinnitus is awful I know mine started in July also I'm learning to adjust to the new life changes.

Can't let it get us down!!!

Still have to participate in life, and remember true friends will love you no matter what.

Good luck sweetie you're never alone ?

• Posted

One thing I found that helped with the mental fog was to start taking essential fatty acids with DHA. I still have days but find less issues with the slurring and trouble finding words. Now if I could only train the husband to stop being so frenetic and noisy. ; )
  • Posted

First of all, I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. It can be a horrible illness that can change all aspects of your life until it is managed. 

Betahistine- I tried a low dose (48mg/day) for 4 months and then a high dose (192mg/day) for 3 months. I didn't notice a change so I'm working on cutting back with my doctor's approval.  

Steroid injections were what really helped. I recieved 4 during a 3 week period and that seemed to stop the episodes of vertigo. (I haven't had any since, knock on wood). Soon after that I had another sudden drop in hearing and was prescribed 10 days of prednisone (50mg/day) to see if if would help reverse the loss. It helped somewhat but I still ended up getting a hearing aid. I can still function without it, but it helps me to hear better and keeps the tinnitus at bay. 

Once the vertigo stopped I started vestibular rehab. I was told that when your vestibular system has been damaged, you tend to depend on your vision to make up for it. V rehab is to get your body (proprioception system - muscles/joints/feet etc) to learn to take over so that you rely less on visual input. It has been helping. 

I highly suggest you focus on finding something that will stop the episodes of vertigo. They're so draining on the system. Like you, I was exhausted all the time, slurring words, living with mental fog etc. I was ready to have surgery and that's still on the table for the future if/when the vertigo comes back. It's really important to have a good ENT.

I find this is the type of illness that you can't just lay on the couch waiting for it to go away, you have to go out there and start throwing things at it to see what works. I started with low sodium, betahistine, steroid injections... next step would have been an endolymphatic shunt or sack decompression.  

I really wish you the best. 

• Posted

I don't mean to suggest I have all the answers. It's not all that easy to find out how to stop the vertigo. I just mean you have to keep trying and when one thing doesn't work to move on to the next, slightly more aggressive treatment. 

• Posted

Kenny, Your story is all our story, this disease does take prisoners. It tries to rob you takeaway things you were doing, fear of falling the endless days of ear fullness, and ears ringing. Do not look for a lot of understanding because no one has a clue to what u are going through. I have had cancer, asthma , burned home, loss of great job, sickness of child. This disease a lot of people do not understand is hard doing and being who u were. As people said on board you must take it head on get beta-histamine, drink water, no salt, do blind walking as recommened BY Shea Clinic. Walk house , outside, stairs with eyes closed. Do head movements side to side eyes open eyes closed, do movents head up and down eyes open eyes closed. Read this forum because u see what is working for everyone. I let it ride me to a bout depression only to make things worse. And please if you need anti-depressant or anxiety med's get them again if needed. You can beat it all just be active and stay informed. Menniers is tough and it's okay to do whatever u need that's what we all can do encourage each other. Blessings

• Posted

J,

I too was told to do , what I call stupid, vestibular training. I walked around for weeks bobbing my head, focusing on cards, touching the floor, you name it. After it all, I felt just the same. The Epley helps my bppv sometimes. Other than that, I still trip, loose my balance. Vertigo. I just deal now and live my life.

• Posted

Whoa...ouch, balance retraining has helped many of us on this forum and I suspect elsewhere.  I dont suffer from vetigo anymore I used to suffer from vertigo before I had menieres.  .  But I am two years down the line and noticed the difference after three months or so.  I researched and looked at the plus and minus and glad it was for me.  I have a regime of early morning balance exercise and yoga.  I havent stopped swimming and other exercise but I dont do front crawl as it increased the tension in my neck. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I guess I can count myself lucky because I can still drive and work. I feel for the people who can't.

• Posted

hi know exactly how you feel. becareful you fall into deep depression.I also was diagnosed with menieres since june 4th.you totally described me.i was taking betahistine injections,the pills also did nothing,notjing worked.i am in vestibular therapy since september it helps with balance.I PRAY an keep moving around my therapist says it helps a lot an it does.when i began to feel depress i snap out of it quick with something positive.I have applied for disability cause i have no choice i am a bus drive/dispatcher which requires you to have a commercial drivers license so this is totally unsafe.I just turned 51 an my life did a turn just in a days time.I know its difficult and there are many of us suffering an the doctors doesnt have many answers so,keep your head up an just try to stay focus an stay in forums where we understand.BLESSINGS
  • Posted

I really sympathise with you. I was having episodes of vertigo up until May when I went to a physiotherapist, who has stopped the vertigo. Absolutely no episodes since then. We are all different, so who knows if it applies to anyone else, but just thought I should say. The doctors say my vertigo cannot have been caused by the menieres if it was fixed by a physiotherapist.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have had to give up work as a result of my menieres.  Perhaps not what you want to hear but i went from 4/5 attacks a year to 57 since August.  Altough the Bethahistine and stemitil and a diuretic are getting the attacks back under control, I constantly feel hungover or sick.  I cant walk in a straight line and I keep driving to a minnimum.  Shopping in supermarkets makes me feel ill now so am looking at online shopping.  the menieres does go through phases and no two people are the same as you may have found.  What works for one wont work for another.  My advice is to cut your stress right down.  I was signed off work which made me feel guilty and stressed then signed off again so felt more guilty and stressed and so it went on till I came to the descion to stop working till I could get my health back to a managable point.  I have joind the menieres society and that is really helpful too as well as this sight.  Keep going with the meds as others have said they can take a while to work.  I am hoping to have either grommits or steriod injections as a next step, but not sure I will get them.  It is a very lonely and depressing disease if we let it become so I have good days and rubbish days.  It is important to listen to your body sometimes I take kids to school and come home and sleep for 3 hours I must need it otherwise I wouldn't sleep!  Not sure how much help I have offered but didn't want to not reply!

• Posted

HI SARAH I KNOW THE FEELING with the SUPERMARKETS AN MALLS.I HAD INJECTIONS WENT THROUGH THAT TORTURE FOR NOTHING BUT, VESTIBULAR THERAPY IS GOOD I JUST WISH I HAD HELP WITH NAUSEA AN SICKNESS GOOD LUCK.IM STANDING BY DOR PERMANENT DISABILITY
    • Posted

Hi

The the balance exercises also worked for me and I then introduced some breathing exercises to reduce the nausea and sickness.  I also added some different types of atmospheric scents including menthol. When menieres first started there was also a lot of info around on the benefits of breathing exercises for sleep and stress. 

• Posted

I have found ginger helps with the nausea and also the travel sickness pills if I am going a distance in the car.  I am also trying mindfulness you reach a point where you give anything a go!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.