Feeling concerned after being told they found thickening of the lining of my uterus.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi...I am 53 years old and I haven't been feeling well in the last two weeks. My stomach has been bothering me and my intestines felt sore and swollen, so my doc sent me for an ultrasound of the stomach and pelvis. At that time I was told I had a low grade fever too. In the past I had been taking the birth control pill to control my heavy periods as I have a bleeding disorder called ITP (low platelets). At the end of October 2016 I stopped taking the pill in preparation for my total knee replacement surgery in November. Since the surgery, my mentstural cycle stopped and I figured I was starting menopause. I was also experiencing hot flashes. After 9 months of no cycle, I got a period again, heavy bleeding and clots (though not as big as I have had in the past). After the ultrasound my doctor called me in to his office and said I had thickening of the lining of my uterus. He said it could mean cancer, but it can also mean something else, so he's sending a referral to the woman's clinic for a biopsy. Then he informed me that this process can take 2 months to get in for the biopsy and now I am sitting here worrying. Everyone tells me not to worry until I know for sure, but I can't help feeling scared. He's also referring me to a Gastroenterologist because though the stomach ultrasound didn't show anything, I am having issues that require further investigating and I possibly may need an endoscopy. 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Im sorry this thing has been difficult, and possibly multi layered.  Take one step at a time.  Now as far as the thinckened lining, please don't worry too much.  I was on HRT and also developed a thickened lining of 12 mm.  After menopause the lining should be around 3-5mm thick.  So mine was definately over grown.  It was from the HRT, and once I stopped the lining went back to normal.  It's estrogen that stimulates the uterine lining, and progesterone that should sluff it off.  I also did a uterine biopsy, and while I worried, it really wasn't bad.  Ive had pap smears that hurt worse than that.  It only took a few minutes and the results came back fine. While it was thickened, there weren't any cancer cells.  So please don't worry for nothing.  But by all means let us know how this comes out for you.   

• Posted

Thank you Gailannie. I go for the biopsy on September 14, 2017. I am not on HRT, but I asked my doc if anything else can cause thickening of the lining besides cancer and he said yes, the bodies hormones over producing estrogen. So I am going to think positive as my body is aging and I have to believe it's just a response to menopause.

• Posted

Thank you for your candor. I needed to hear this, because I too have a thick uterus lining. I am 66, and 15years in menopause. My biopsy date is April 17th. I am not going to worry as you mentioned. I will let you know when I get my results. I am going to pray, therefore, no worries! I appreciate you!
  • Posted

Gailannie is correct. HRT does cause the lining to thicken. The first time I was on it it caused me to have a light bleeding because the lining was shedding. I was on the Combipatch. Needless to say I got off it. Don't worry, just take one step at a time. Let us know how it all turns out.

• Posted

Thank you Juanita. I go for the biopsy on Sept. 14, 2017. I'll keep in touch with the results.

• Posted

Hi i had thickening of the womb, i take HRT have been for 7 years had a hysteroscopy & polyp removed all results fine. I waited over a year for my procedure so try mot to worry. Iam on HRT still but i do get regular checks.

• Posted

you cant change anything by worrying try to take each day at a time ,, i had a 10,5mm lining of the womb lasy year polips and benign results ,,  all good but please ask for a scan of all your tubes and ovarys too as this can cause bleeding if a problem there i,e scysts or fibroids have you had scans for that yet ???,, good luck xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you Lynwell. As I have said in my other responses, I am not doing HRT and I have had uterine fibroids for year, as early as 2006.  I have had CT and ultrasound scans that confirmed the fibroids. Back then I was told the fibroids usually shrink on their own once you begin menopause. So I guess I will just sit tight and see what the biopsy says on September 14, 2017.
    • Posted

hi there , I had what they thought was a fibroid ,, but over years turned out to be something untoward ,, please make sure you get answers and listen to your body xx

• Posted

I am guessing you do not live in the U.K....as anyone with query could be cancer is always seen within 2 weeks of referral! However that said I to had thickening of the womb and this was after no period for approx 18months. Then heavy period . I to was warned it could be cancer but turned out to be a hormonal surge. 

I would try and get seen sooner if possible though just for your peace of mind. If you are in the U.K. Then straight back to GP and request a 2 week referral which is the protocol. 

• Posted

Hi Dancer,

You are correct I am not from the U.K.

I am from Alberta, Canada.

My biopsy has been scheduled for September 14, 2017, so a little sooner than my doc had thought. I'll let you know how it goes. I am thinking positive as I believe it's just a hormonal response to starting menopause.

• Posted

Hi!

I have had this happen to me several times now... several years of heavy bleeding with a thickened uterine lining.  I have had to have surgery more than once to control it.

I highly recommend taking a few pain relieving pills for the biopsy.  Mine were all done awake and they can be uncomfortable.  A few pain pills and Valium made a big difference!

I was taking progesterone to control the lining build up and any time I stopped taking it.... the lining built right back up and I would skip periods.  So.... maybe that is what has happened to you and it will be cleared up soon with proper treatment.  Good to hear that the doctors are taking good care of you and sending you for tests!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.