Feeling confused

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just seen my GP for results of my 2nd TSH blood test. First test in January came back borderline so I was retested end of March. The Dr said it has gone up/ down ( can’t remember) but he said it needs treating and prescribed levothyroxine 50 mg . I wasn’t given any information other than where the thyroid is and it should help with my tiredness and feeling cold. Also it will be a lifelong treatment. I’ve no idea about the result numbers I wasn’t given/ offered them. I have another blood test in 8 weeks. I was given no information about side effects, should I expect any? Sorry it’s so long but text, this is totally new to me. TIA 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You can ask for a printout if your results and post on here with reference ranges. You should have been given a form to fill in to receive free prescriptions for everything not just thyroxine. 

The doseage you have been given is very low and you will probably have to have it increased to actually feel better. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. When I was about to pay for my prescription the pharmacist said I  don’t pay! she then explained about being exempt. I wasn’t told about this by my GP. I paid and she gave me a receipt to claim back once I sort out exemption certificate. If I ask the dr receptionist for a print out of my results will they do that? 
  • Posted

Your doctor should give you your results, then you can post them here and get advice. Some people get various side effects (you can google Levothyroxine) but most people find it works.
    • Posted

Thank you. I will ask about getting a print out and post in here. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.