feeling depressed

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all feeling down trying to cope with this awfull condition and i know im not alone i guess im worring about how bad this might get guess im luckey its just mild hfs have been not to bad at times then here we go again spasm started in my left eye twitching near on stops but i feel a pull really strange talking can start it off to really feel uncomfortable when i meet people and its mild but feels worse sad

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry Sue you're not alone, like yours, I consider mine mild, my right eye has it's ups and downs, once it starts, I rub my temple just by the brow of the offending eye and close my eyes for a bit, it seems to calm it down, Sue you need to try different relaxing technics as this can help, it always seems to come with a headache, but if you can manage to calm yourself it'll help.  I've heard that taking Magnesium tablets can help, but there is also a Chinese herbal muscle relaxant, will look into it and get back to you.
    • Posted

Guess what?  Had my botox today, it didn't hurt and was done very quick, will take 2 or 3 days to kick in but so far so good, Thanks to you all for the support. Will see how it goes.
  • Posted

Hi Sue and Gwen.  Believe me when I say that you are not making a fuss about nothing; this thing punches well above its weight in terms of how it makes you feel.  Others will say 'I hardly notice it' and that can make you feel that you are making too big a fuss.  It's not about how you look, it's about how it makes you feel and how tiring and emotionally draining it is.  The Chinese muscle relaxant called SPZM I've not actually tried, and I am not at all sure of its effectiveness from what I've read on a number of different HFS forums.  One or two people talk about taking turmeric paste (not tablets) and saying that this can be a bit of a help.  Another person talks of doing total inversion (hanging upside down, literally like a bat from the settee) and this helps her.  BUT, I am pretty sure that the only proven helper is Botox and the only cure is surgery.  I base this on my 9 years of having HFS.  If you are depressed Sue then an antidepressant from your doctor may help you to feel less anxious about it all.  Try to take one day at a time if you possibly can and try not to worry about how it might develop.  Mine took years to get really bad and some people's never get really bad at all.  But it is a real ****** and that's for sure.
    • Posted

Hi Roseanne have you had surgery?
    • Posted

Sue, Roseann is spot on with her advice and the muscle relaxant is SPZM, like Roseann I am not sure of it's effectiveness, you have to check on forums or places like Amazon UK, where you can buy it, see what people say, but gather as much info. before making a decision, whatever you do don't settle for these meds that the doctors tend to prescribe as they all come with some serious side effects, even depression, Rebecca mentioned using the IMAK Eye Pillow which can be used cold or warm, but look online for info. on anything before going for it, if you liked you could try acupunture but this leaves a big dent in your purse.  Roseann is so right about how much this thing takes  from you both physically and mentally, it's so draining and it's good to know that we have a support net on this forum. I think it's important  to always focus on the positives in life, we have to fight this thing and try to take back as much control as we can before it takes over us, I suppose  we are lucky that we don't have something more seriously wrong with us. One thing I am sure of is that we have to make the most of this life, HFS is real and the only people that really understand are the ones going through the same thing.  I am so proud of all of you.

• Posted

Hi Sue.  Yes, I had surgery nearly two years ago in Bristol.  That was after 9 years with HFS and it took a lot of courage to eventually go this route.  I didn't have any intention of having surgery but things did get bad for me in the end and I had spasms at night as well as in the day which was so very tiring.  I had a very good experience of surgery and didn't have any complications thankfully.  But, it is a big operation and not something you do unless you really feel you need it.  I've heard of a lot of people who cope well with Botox for up to 10 or 15 years, but I didn't do so well with it myself.
    • Posted

Hi Roseanne thank you for your reply are you cured now x
  • Posted

Hi Sue and Gwen  I am in your situation and believe me you are not alone at all.  I have never had Magnesium tablets Gwen, do they work? and can you please tell me what the Chinese herbal muscvle relaxant is as well as am prepared to try anything. Thanks and you people are always in my thoughts.
    • Posted

Sorry, Gladys, apparently my reply to you was with held cause I mentioned web sites and it's a bit like advertising the product, anyway sent  a reply to Jess, but you can find any info. online, not sure if these things work so you have to research first, see what others that have tried say.  My thoughts are with you all and I know how much we all crave a bit of relief from this, sometimes with in reason though, it is worth giving something a try, as long as you are not putting yourself in further danger.  Take care.

Gwen 

• Posted

Hi Gwen thank you so much for info and will certainly give the Magnisium tablets at try. My toughts are also with you all I know how brave you are all being.
  • Posted

Hello all! I have not been on here in quite some time. Still twitching away though sad anyone have body wide as well?
    • Posted

Hi Jess, my reply to Gladys has been withheld for some reason unknown to myself.  Yes we are all twitching as well, I was thinking of trying a Chinese muscle relaxant SPZM and also found out that a deficiency in Magnesium causes involuntary eye movement, tics, cramps, muscle spasms and anxiety to name a few, Magnesium helps maintain a normal muscle, brain and nerve function.

Check this online.

Gwen    xx

• Posted

Thanks for your respons Gwen! I sure do hate it but I think mine is mild for now at least. I went head and bought some magnesium but hasn't really helped much. I've been seeing a neurologist regularly who has never mentions hfs. He did however diagnose me with bfs. ( benign fasciculation syndrome) not sure how many more here twitch throughout their body. My body is very mild compared to the left side of my eye/face. Thanks again for any responses smile
    • Posted

Jessica, Sorry I didn't realize, now I know why you saked if anyone has it bodywise as well.  Ii just read up on benign fasciculation syndrome and can only imagine what you go through even though it's mild at this stage.  How long have you been taking the Magnesium and is there anything else the nuro. has recommended for the spasms? My face and eye have been going like mad this the past few months, I have breaks but would love to have that freedom we once had not having to have a face that does it's own thing.  Keep in touch and let me know how things are going or if you just need someone to talk to,
    • Posted

Sorry that should read asked, sometimes I wonder about myself you knowwink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.