Feeling depressed, run down. dont feel like doing anything

Posted , 6 users are following.

So this week ive really felt it. i dont want to do anything. I am doing as little as possible at work. My excersise is very dull. I feel tired all the time and just dont want to do anything. I am on antidepressants and was in therapy. Is this just a phase or is there a way i can feel motivated again. i know depression makes you demotivated but how do i find my mojo again. feel just tired of my life at the moment. everything seems like so much effort

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicoleta, I know exactly how you feel, that's what depression does, how long have you been on the anti depressants? Depression does pass but the thing to do is not allow yourself to "vegitate", it looks like your continuing to excersise which is great. You will feel motivated as your depression lifts and your mojo will return. 

Try some meditation, plenty on YouTube for depression.

Depression saps the life out of you but try and stay one step ahead of it by refusing to yeald to it, you will get better. Neil 

• Posted

ive been on anti depressants for 1 month and 2 weeks i think. hasnt felt like it helps. feel more anxious.
  • Posted

This is my first post on this group since joining. Having been diagnosed a few weeks ago after feeling very strange and desperate.

I think my take on this at the moment and it goes contrary to all the feelings I have. Is NOT to stop doing things but to get out and about and keep doing, or at least trying to do, what you normally do!

It's very hard to persuade yourself to get up and go when all you feel like doing is curling up into a ball and going to sleep. But it does seem you have to fight through it.

Indeed just yesterday I felt very low and didn't want to do anything, but I had promised to go out and help someone. Initially all my instincts said to cry off and break my promise. But I forced myself to get ready and go out. You know what, once I had got over the initial move I did feel improved, though still not great. I realised that once I got there and after about an hour, I was feeling more like normal and was really glad I had made the choice I did.

So I would encourage you to do all things you can do, even if it seems like the last thing you want. I believe that you will find once you are back doing what you are used to you will feel improved.

It's not enduring so you will have to go through the same effort again, but when you realise it works you feel encouraged that it will lift you out of your depression.

Good luck!

• Posted

Yes, everything you say is what cbt teaches you, get on with as much as you can.  I am presuming you are managing this without the aid of medication?
    • Posted

I am on 30mg Mirtazipine (up from 15mg after 2 weeks). It certainly has a good affect, as I take it 8pm and the evenings thereafter feel much more normal. But sadly when I wake up around 7 am the clouds close in again.

• Posted

I am on same medication, yes it does give a good sleep and appetite.  I am still having the morning problems though like you.  They tried to increase my dosage but i couldnt tolerate it unfortunately.  Im sure that will help you to feel better.  Dr now suggesrinf i try 15 at night and the rest in day. I feel a bit knocked out. Do report back how you get on.
  • Posted

Taking the meds in two doses would likely help bridging the gap that seems to occur after the first dose wears off in the morning. But the side effects that I have expereinced, like making me sleepy, I think would make it impractical.

I had another appointment with my doctor again today. She is very supportive and arranges a subsequent one each time so I know where I am.

I have looked at whether there are any foods and drinks which might help.

So far I have tried green tea, almonds and dark chocolate which were each recommended to help the natural calming chemicals in the brain be more effective and also make the medication more effective.

I'm not yet convinced that any of them do it for me, but they are easy to try.

• Posted

Yes ive tried a few. Not much success so far. Keep plugging away!
  • Posted

Hi Nicoleta.You nailed it when you said it seems like it takes so much effort.What really is tough is hoping tomorrow will be better and most times it isn't.But I guess it's my belief in hope and for me(not here to preach or push anything on you) in God that tomorrow will be better.Like the others say no matter how much you want to curl up in a ball on that couch (And OH how i LOVE that couch) you got to get out and do something.I take 30mg of Mirtazapine also (15 am,15pm) along with other meds for IBS/anxiety/depression and associated back pain and about the only time I feel normal is in the evening when all the anxiety and worries of the day are done and i take the last meds and feel "normal" again.MOrnings are anywhere from shaky to really bad what with anxiety and a new day and how will i feel,etc.But I keep praying that I'm getting better and giving myself up completely to His will.Again not preaching it's just everything else has come crashing down and I realise it all meant nothing.It's taking me 54 years to realise this,finally.It's all comes down to having peace real peace and about loving and forgiving others and yourself.And boy is that hard to do.BUt I'm starting to feel that love and peace that passes all understanding.To let it all go and trust in Him.And it's really scary,because it means changing things and realigning your life and some of it isn't easy to do because you want to hang on to the old you because it was comfortable and safe.i didn't feel great but it's what I knew.But no more.Just let go.Let go.On please catch me when I do ,God! Catch me when I do.Sorry for ramblin'.JUst completely opening up,out whatever you want to call it.I guess what I'm saying is don't give up.Hope is the best thing.Because hope unseen is the only real kind there is.Prayers and love your way!! God Bless You,Nicoleta,God Bless You. bob

• Posted

Can i ask you if you are getting early morning nightmares on mirtazapine.  They are really scaring me and i just dont know how im ever going to feel better.  You are right, we get to bed thinking tomorrow will be better and it really isn't. I have tried so many anti deps and nothing is taking this away. Another day to push on and try to appear normal if i see anyone.

• Posted

Hi Ann,I have always had vivid dreams/nightmares even before meds so it's hard to really say yes or no.But I definately get bad anxiety( this morning was terrible,I don't get up until about 7:20 for work and it started to kick in about 5:30 and this happens about 3 times a week)and I really don't get good sleep any more except the first 3-4 hours.It's hard for sure .I just keep praying and trusting God it will improve.Oh please Lord let it get better.All we can do is take it day by day.Stay strong(I think that's as much for me as you!) Prayers and love.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here.

I do find the mornings are generally not so good as the rest of the day.

Initially when I wake up I feel normal, but then the negative feelings start to return.

But for me, things do see to be improving - not consistently - but they are. Maybe the meds (Mirtazipine) is doing it's job.

I think, for me at least, getting out and doing something in the day is important.

Easy to say I know! But go for a walk - go do a bit of shopping and maybe linger and sit to watch the world and other people pass by. It might feel like the worst decision at the start and you feel even really ill. But push on, - tell yourself to do it regardless. I am and I find once I get out and start doing something I feel a bit better and then better still and so on. Once you get the confidence that pushing through that barrier it is good on the otherside, you will be able to do it more easily next time and so on.

I am only just learning this so bear with me if this seems strange. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.