Feeling Desperate.. Swollen Lymph Nodes 8 Months

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi All!

I am a 27 y/o female and I have had swollen/achey lymph nodes since February 2016. I am typically not a very sickly person, and rarely go to the doctor. In February I began feeling "off" - have muscle aches and pains, feeling of swollen lymph nodes in my neck, and just feeling generally unwell.

My symptoms have persisted, moving through my body over the past several months. My lymph nodes in my neck, armpits, and left groin have been painful and tender, but none that I can actually "feel". The only noticeable nose is one that popped up behind my right ear in April, was soft and slightly movable, but went back down in about two weeks. I can still slightly feel it under the skin, non-movable and rubbery feeling.

I have seen several GP doctors, a hematologist/oncologist and an ENT who specializes in cancers of those areas. Everyone has told me their concern levels are very low, and I have no relevant symptoms of lymphoma.

I have had extensive testing; six blood tests (only revealing low iron/slightly anemic, low b12) X-rays of the chest, ultrasounds of the neck, abdomen, spleen, and chest. CT scan with contrast of the neck, chest, pelvic and abdomen.

Out of all of these tests, the only thing that has come back is "slightly enlarged" lymph nodes in the armpits and neck. My hematologist said the one in my neck is 1.7cm and he referred me to the ENT. The ENT reviewed my CT scan and stated his concern level was very low. He said the lymph node did not appear abnormal, and was not particularly "large in size". He felt around on my neck, did not feel anything that concerned him, but said he would gladly do a biopsy if that would help my anxiety and fears.

I have a fine needle aspiration scheduled for the 23rd of August. My anxiety/stress the past 8 months has been through the roof, with constant fear of cancer and the unknown. I have no symptoms that I've noticed other than tiredness, but not overwhelmingly tired.

Does anyone have ANY insight?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey everyone , feeling really worried. I'm a 22 year old male. I started with a swollen lymph node on my left side under my jaw. About 10 weeks ago, I don't have any signs of fever or infection and it hasn't gone down. Blood work has been normal, also had a CT scan on my neck and it was normal. I did get night sweats like the first 3 weeks that my lymph node showed up. Also fatigue, those symptoms have gone away but I still have the lymph node. Sometimes my left side where the lymph node is feels warm and causes headaches. Have had chest X-rays as well. Really worried it could be lymphoma or leukemia.

• Posted

Hi Hector, Your symptoms mirror mine so closely that I feel that you have read my story.

Yes I had nodes in my neck at the point of my jawbone. and one in front of my ear which made phone use uncomfortable.

I visited my GP who advised me to have a dental check because he thought it may have been related to a tooth or oral problem.

After about 9 months I saw a different doctor by accident (due to my usual GP being away) and he wasn't sure that it had anything to do with dental health, so he requested a FNA. From there my journey began. Results showed NHL and further nodes were surgically biopsied confirming the diagnosis. CT Scans followed indicating that there were more in my abdomen. Never throughout my 23 year involvement has my blood indicated anything to do with cancer of any kind.

As a survivor of this problem I would advise you to seek a referral appointment with a Haematologist / oncologist to have your doubts ironed out once and for all.

I certainly hope that you find that you have an ENT problem rather than Lymphoma.

Stay positive and keep in touch through this medium.

Cheers,

• Posted

I’m in a similar boat to a lot of the posts.  I went to the doctor for a lump on my lower neck.  He ran blood tests which looked ok and an X-ray.  Then he sent me to a cat scan with contrast.  All of this happened so quickly and the doctor mentioned lymphoma.  After the cat scan he said he didn’t want to jump to conclusions but he say the lump and some differential above my heart.  He also mentioned lymphoma.  I’m going for a biopsy.  I’m super scared and upset.  I wish I asked more questions at the cat scan.  I’ve had the lump for 4 months and initially got it when I was sick.  I’ve lost about 20 pounds, but I’ve changed my diet.  I feel itchy, but I think it is dry skin.  Any advice?? sad

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I am  going through the same thing. I started having pain under my arm and my glands were swollen mostly on left side even my left breast, felt tired and achy and cold and sweaty so I went to dr he put me on antibiotics and sent me for ultrasound of both arm Pits, they came back enlarg s lymph nodes so he sent me for chest X-ray which is clear then sent me for cat scan of belly and was clear, I have had so many blood tests and I am scared, Doctor seems baffled I’m wondering do I need to see an oncologist? Time is ticking and I’m not sure why it’s taking so long to come up with a diagnosis. 

• Posted

Hi Heather, i know this is an old post but i just wanna know how you are today, i'm having the same concern as you had 2 years ago, i just wanna know how your doing now..i have swollen lymph nodes in my neck, armpit and groin area, fatigue, diziness and blurry vision..i really need some advice right now as anxiety is killing me..i would really appreciate any feedback from you..stay safe always..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.