Feeling Despondent-CBT wrong for me 😖

Posted , 4 users are following.

Not really looking for a solution here, but needed to get my feelings if despondency out somewhere ??

I am 35 and have been depressed and anxious on and off for over 2 decades.

I have received numerous antidepressants, anxiety management, counseling, CBT and CAT, in my quest for good mental health.

I am currently seeing a counselor who specialises in CBT and working with children who've experienced trauma and mental health. After a few sessions, we together established that CBT is not right for me right now. The homework and processes are too much work for me practically and emotionally. It is feeding into my core beliefs that I am useless and 'should've' been able to deal with this by now. Also because CBT focusses on a current problem and how to change your thinking and behaviour, and through our conversations, she has realised I need help with my childhood trauma, as it has instilled certain thought processes in me (about myself) that are currently preventing me living a healthy, happy life.

Psychodynamic therapy would be right for me.

I asked my psychiatrist about the chance of this, as ive already been on a CBT waiting list for 27 months, she said it's not possible as I'm not "far enough into the secondary care system". I.e. haven't been hospitalised, not I'll enough!

I am so hurt by this and feel even more helpless and hopeless. I am doing everything in my power to kick this illness to the kerb (if not for me, for my kids and husband), but how am I supposed to get better if I cannot deal with what happened in my childhood????


2 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

  • Posted

    If you want to talk confidentially, I could try to help you by private messaging me if you want.  But remember to delete it after we are finished discussions.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Where are you in the UK .....i,ve just gone into physcodymanic therapy ...diagnosed bi polar disorder in 2009 .. Had a cpn for six years and was desperate for something else....worried depressive state taking over ...googled and came across Starfish a local charity ...maybe you could ring them ...and ask if there's anything in your area as it charitable and free not nhs .......

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sometimes the CPN may not be the right person for you another one may be able to relate to you more fully. You should have been given coping techniques by the CPN to help you move on If you have childhood trauma that becomes a problem in its own right and that could lead to far more different types of treatment.

    We here are not generally Health Professionals and I have no knowledge of the plight you you were in as a child. Talk to your GP,CPN or other professionals regarding this.

    Good Luck

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up