Feeling discouraged

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started 20mg of cit just over 3 and half weeks now, and in the beginning my mood picked up and my panic attacks don't come as often and less intense. I started eating more and overall I was doing alright. But I keep having this disconnected feeling, like depersonization. Everything feels dream like and I don't like this. Everyday kind of feels the same and I'm also having some bad memory. I don't know if these are side affects but I'm wondering if this disconnected feeling goes away. My father took this medication for 10 years and it worked for him so I'm hoping it works for me, it's my first anti depressant.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Dylan the start of everything is always the toughest no matter what it is  Citalopram is no different it takes time for it to kick in as the serontoinin needs to increase and on  the way there will/may be side effects some of which you are now experiencing perfectly normal dont stress too much about them keep pushing on you'll get better as the mnonths draw by all the best !!
    • Posted

Thank you steveo! I'm trying o really kick this illness and I appreciate your reassurance. Does anyone else get anxiousness and increased fear in the mornings? I feel if I don't take a Xanax I'll go insane
    • Posted

Yes, used to.  First thing on waking in the morning the anxiety would hit me.  When I recovered that was the last symptom to go.  Don't get anxiety at all now.  It'll happen for you too x
    • Posted

Yeah same here since being on citalopram (11 months now) I have only had 1 occasion very out of the blue generally everyday its normal. 
  • Posted

Yes, as Stevo says, it's always worse at the beginning.  It will get better.  It might take a long time, but keep at it, just keep taking the medication and very slowly you'll begin to feel better.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.