Feeling dizzy and off balance when walking; goes away when driving

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 50 year old male...avid tennis player. Since September 12 I have been feeling way off balance especially when walking. I feel like I am being pulled left and right and sometimes I feel like I am falling. This feeling goes away entirely when I drive or ride in a car, go on a bike ride, or even when I kayak at 1 mph! I don't feel it as badly when I lie down or if I sit down to work on my computer or stand at my computer and work...it's still noticeable but not as bad as when I try to walk. The symptoms sound a great deal like Mal De Debarquement Syndrome...I have seen an ENT and they found no issues in my nose or ears. I'm scheduled for an MRI and I have yet to get the results of my blood test. Anybody ever have this and how'd you cure it?

I should tell you that I spent a week at Torch Lake where we boated almost daily about 3 weeks prior to these symptoms. I also had an acute bout of BPPV (positional vertigo fixed by the Epley Maneuver) about a week before the onset of the symptoms. I was also dealing with acute low back pain for 2 months starting in late July that lasted until about September 20th. That caused a lot of anxiety...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

When I got the maneuver for my bppv, |I was really off balance and got quick bursts of dizzy after my maneuver. \And it did last for a long time.

Even though I have not had an episode for a long time, I still get those weird things happening

• Posted

When you say "weird things", what exactly do you mean? What are your symptoms?

• Posted

Daily , I still get very quick dizzy spells. They only last a few seconds. A lot of the time, it happens when my chin is down kinda touching my chest. Like from sitting and looking down my phone.

I also daily get these weird sensations. I will be just standing, and all of a sudden my body seems to want to jerk to my right. Again , it just happens for a second or two.

My balance is very bad though. I am not sure whether that has anything to do with it. I can not do that test where you stand with your feet together and eyes closed. You stand there and have your arms straight out in front of you.Nope not going to happen.......I would fall over.

• Posted

Do your symptoms worsen when you close your eyes when laying down, sitting or standing?

• Posted

I'm experiencing the same thing, had it now for over a month. Saw an ENT, had and MRI, didn't find anything. I wake up feeling great, an hour or two later, I start feeling "floaty" like a cork bobbing in the water. When I mow on the zero-turn, no floating sensation or when I'm riding in a car. When I'm driving, I'm OK until I stop and a traffic light, then I get the "floaty" sensation. Not sure what route to go now. I miss the days feeling normal and I cherish the mornings. If I find something that helps, I will let you know. I've been praying alot. ENT says sometimes, this will go away on its own. That's what I'm praying for. All the best to you!

• Posted

hi i have these same exact symtpoms. did you find anything helpful as to what it is? I did mris and other tests, but it came back normal.

• Posted

I have those symptoms to a T. Sounds like 100% you you have MDDS. Look it up. it took me two years to find out what I had. doctors are not very familiar with it so it’s hard to get diagnosed, but there is help out there

• Posted

I've had the same for 3 years also. Absolutly identicle syptoms. Are you getting any treatment and is anything working?

thanks

• Posted

I just realize this post was from years ago did you figure it out?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.