Feeling dizzy,extreme tiredness and strange after increase levothyroxine medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with with an under active thyroid about 8 years ago at the age of 15. I was on meds for a few years until my doctor took me off of them and said i had 'got better'. This year after a long period of complaining of extreme tiredness and huge weight gain I was re diagnosed and put on 50 levothyroxine.

I started to feel great again, no tiredness and a lot happier! The doctor wanted to up these to 75.

I've been on 75 for about two weeks now and been experiencing strange head pressure and dizziness (which I've never experienced in my life) . It's like a strange drunk feeling and feel like you're out of it. The extreme tiredness has come back. I've been extremely hungry all the time too.

I wasn't sure if this was my body adjusting to the change in meds and will eventually improve or if my dose is too high?

It would be great to hear other peoples experiences to this as I still feel very new to it. Also any tips on weight loss with this would be great? As that's someone I'm also struggling with!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was on 50mcg for 12 weeks and didn't feel any different . To be honest I didn't feel ill in the first place but a blood test confirmed hypothyroidism. Anyway the doctor put it up to 75mcg. I been feeling dizzy and nervous all the time and im never nervous , always been laid back care free. I have been told that the jump from 50 to 75 is the worst one by a few people on another forum. After 3 week though of this weird feeling it has gone and starting to feel pretty good . Stick with it a while is my advice. I know how tempting it is to just stop taking levothyroxine.

• Posted

Ask your doctor to lower your dosage, or change your medication to something slightly weaker but same dosage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.