Feeling down on Naltrexone/

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Guys, Im 3 months on NAL, but the last 2 months I have not been myself, at all. Not depressed, but apathetic / indifferent.  Im a person who is very socialble, always organizing events etc... Now i just stay home, almost all the time. I work from home, so i go to the Gym and Food shop etc.... But barely see friends anymore, just my bf whom i live with. He doesnt drink more than one or two wines per week.

Im actually considering going off NAL, to see if my old self comes back. I dont like the way im feeling. No motivation to do anything. Any ideas? 

Thank you in advance. xo

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you talking it for alcoholism recovery? Never tried Naltrexone, but I've used Antabuse for a few years with great success. You cannot drink at all on it or you get very sick. I've tested it and the effects are very uncomfortable! If you just don't drink, side effects are minimal. No psychological side effects. Little bit of a taste in your mouth that you really don't notice most of the time. And knowing you simply can't drink helps prevent the craving. Also If you decide to stop taking it, it stays in your system for a few days so you have time to get back on it if you're about to decide to drink. If the Naltrexone doesn't work for you, it might be something to talk to your dr about. Good luck.

• Posted

hi jason, thank for your reply. yes for alcohol, its acually quite amazing how it work,s but it can take some people longer than 3 months, som ppl up to 10... and i have heard of antibuse, will def keep in mind. thank you smile
    • Posted

Now I'm curious.... I take Antabuse because I know I just can't drink normally. I've heard of Naltrexone, but you're still able to drink on it arn't you? What is the positive effect? Do you find that you're able to drink normally? If you go on a bender do you not have that urge to pick up the next morning? Interested...

• Posted

Hi Jason, well there literally is so much to it. Im not the best at explaining. Download the book The Sinclair Method. and / reserach it. You can also join the FB Group. Sinclair Method Warriors.

But, yes completeky different fomr antibuse, it is meant to chnage your neuropaths to NOT even wanting a drink or more than one or two on occasion. Its has a a very high success rate, in fact many treatment centers are finally offering it.  but yer you have to take the pill when you drink and drink when you take the pill. NO exceptions. Hope this helps a bit. 

• Posted

Ill have to look into that.  I might be scared to try it.  I wish there was a cure that would make it so I could drink occasionally and not immediately turn into Mr Hyde going crazy and unable to stop! But unfortunately that is the way I react.  At this point I can't even imagine being able to drink normally.  Would be interesting to look into and talk to the doc about it though.  Thanks

• Posted

well technically, thats exactly what its supposed to do. read up on it, but make sure you read their actual book for correct info. 

_

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.